what is the proper order in which to list credits?

I keep hearing that the standard way to list credits for a movie is as follows: producers, writers directors. But I see a lot of movies, and opening credits aren't always listed that way. Sometimes writers are listed, then producers, and then directors, and once I saw writers, executive producers, producers, and directors. Is there a reason for this? Is there a true "standard way" to list credits? Also, when is it appropriate to combine credits? For example, if one person directed, wrote, and co-produced, can you list other producers, and then follow it up with a "written, produced, and directed by" credit for that one person (I have seen it happen)? Or would that person have to had written, produced, and directed that movie all on their own? Also, if the movie is based on a book, and one person directed and adapted it into a screenplay, would you list the writer of the book, and then for the screenwriter/director, would you use a "screenplay and directed by" credit, a "written for the screen and directed by" credit (I have actually seen both happen), or would that person's writing and directing credits be separate (I have seen that happen)? What if several people wrote the story, and then one person wrote the screenplay and directed? Then, would you list story writers, and then a "written and directed by" credit (I have seen that happen), or would you keep that person's writing and directing credits separate (I've seen that happen too)? Or would you use a "screenplay and directed by" credit (I don't remember ever seeing that happen)?

Last edited:
Film credits have continuously changed over the decades. Much depends, of course, upon the budget level of the project. Another consideration is the contract. And, of course, the director may have a say (some of the really good ones who truly believe that "Sound is half of the experience" will list the Supervising Sound Editor/Designer in the opening credits and/or "above the line" in the closing credits.)

You need to avoid "ego trip" credits. As a "one-man-band" operation my individual personal credits on almost every project could be:

Supervising Sound Editor - Bob Kessler
Sound Designer - Bob Kessler
Dialog Editor - Bob Kessler
ADR Mixer - Bob Kessler
ADR Editor - Bob Kessler
Foley Artist - Bob Kessler
Foley Mixer - Bob Kessler
Foley Editor - Bob Kessler
Sound Recordist - Bob Kessler
Sound Effects Editor - Bob Kessler
Music Editor - Bob Kessler
Digital Archivist - Bob Kessler
Rerecording Mixer - Bob Kessler

However, I have settled on:

Audio Post By - Bob Kessler
Audio Post Facilities and Services provided by Alcove Audio Productions

Those involved in filmmaking will grasp that I did all of the audio post work. The general audience member won't even care what I did anyway.

For your own projects just keep it simple. For your shorts don't put any opening credits except, perhaps, the title of the film. If you wrote, directed and produced (or more) "A Film By" would be entirely adequate, then properly and fully credit the individuals who assisted you.

I always have to include this one when discussing credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVYYe87b9w

As a writer/director I put my producer first.
Even a special thanks can happen before my name, it's all about making people feel appreciated for helping me out on my project.

Now if they were paid professionals it's a different story .. because their thanks came earlier in the form of a check.

UPM first.

Why not skip to the end of your favorite film and note down the credits order?

That happens if the director, writers, and producers are listed at the beginning of the movie. If they aren't, then the director, not UPM, comes first. Also, I'm asking this because the credits order isn't always the same for every movie.

Last edited:
Also, is there a reason for listing credits (especially producers and actors) in "clumps?" If you don't know what I'm talking about, according to the end credits of "Star Trek: Into Darkness," the movie was "produced by J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk," and then, in a separate credit, "produced by Damon Lindelof."

Also, is there a reason for listing credits (especially producers and actors) in "clumps?" If you don't know what I'm talking about, according to the end credits of "Star Trek: Into Darkness," the movie was "produced by J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk," and then, in a separate credit, "produced by Damon Lindelof."
The way each person is credited and how and with whom
or alone) and in what order is in the contract.

Back