• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New PC to continue animations

Honestly you're better off with a black marker + cardboard sign and begging at a traffic light.
You can make people feel uncomfortable and they'll give you money to walk away to the next car.

Good luck!!

Oh man here comes the gofundme for markers...

I'm sympathetic, Alan. It's frustrating; asking for money and getting
employment advice. It's to be expected, though.

I remember living in a small town and looking for work when there
just wasn't any. People (even my parents) didn't understand. I can
only imagine how difficult it must be in a small town in Ireland. I
suspect not many retail stores in the area are hiring, not a lot of
electronics stores close by.

I had to move to a larger city to get work. Many people can't do even
that.

I know my sympathy doesn't help you get a new computer. Are you
asking anywhere else? Seems IT with fellow, struggling filmmakers
is not the best place to get donations.

My IndieGoGo worked out because I had perks and they equated to better than a retail purchase, for example, donate $10 and get our CD before anyone else, $20 and it is signed, and stickers, or whatever. Kickstarter works really well for gadgets, as in, get the new gadget before anyone else and get a free accessory, and at a lesser price than when it hits market etc. I'm afraid just needing a computer, your target audience is friends and family, and you may have already hit them up on your last campaign.

I'm sympathetic, Alan. It's frustrating; asking for money and getting
employment advice. It's to be expected, though.

I remember living in a small town and looking for work when there
just wasn't any. People (even my parents) didn't understand. I can
only imagine how difficult it must be in a small town in Ireland. I
suspect not many retail stores in the area are hiring, not a lot of
electronics stores close by.

I had to move to a larger city to get work. Many people can't do even
that.

I know my sympathy doesn't help you get a new computer. Are you
asking anywhere else? Seems IT with fellow, struggling filmmakers
is not the best place to get donations.

Thanks for your words, I'm actually going to deactivate the gofundme and do a Kickstarter instead, there's just no rewards or anything to give with a gofundme and I'd like to give something in return.

Now I am offering to show people a preview of what I have done so far for the upcoming campaign and if you'd like to take a look and offer criticism and thoughts I'd be happy to message it over to you.

PS. I need a new computer too. The fan revs and it freezes any time I try to do something. And it is too old to accept the latest Creator's Update of Win 10, so it will try to update and freeze at 70% and I have to restart so it reverts. I had to work some magic to get it to stop updates which also means my PC is not secure because I cannot get security updates.

Misery loves company. ;)

after wanting a new computer for years i finally got one and it still can't run resolve..
talk about frustrating. there is a paranoid delusion in the back of my head that resolve doesn't work for anyone and it's all a big conspiracy. i've literally never seen it do anything but crash.

And the irony of that software's name...

A rather elaborate plot just to sell a few extra black magic cameras.

Finally got it running today, i had to use an output cable from the dvi-d and it stopped crashing.

My 20 year old iMac still works running OS 9.0 with iMovie and Adobe Premiere and Photoshop. However, there isn't much of a market for SD digital video. Rendering takes painfully long for videos. But, it still works. It's a shame very little of it's files are compatible with my new iMac that's very compatible with my HP Omen laptop. No more special software needed for Mac / PC file compatibility. But, it still works.

If you have places like schools and businesses anywhere you can travel to reach, you might find a discarded computer that's newer than your's. There was a story a few years ago in the news about a man who started a prop rental business in Los Angeles by going through the garbage of Hollywood studios and pulling their discarded props out of the garbage. We can all learn the most from poor people on how to survive with little or no money.

Looking through garbage is one of them.

From crowdfunding to dumpster diving, this really took a turn. :lol:

I work with people who got some excellent computers discarded by big businesses because big businesses with discard computers and printers simply wanted newer models and there is nothing wrong with the computers and printers the businesses put out with the garbage.

Last edited:
You might find half a beer and a stale donut too.

If you have places like schools and businesses anywhere you can travel to reach, you might find a discarded computer that's newer than your's. There was a story a few years ago in the news about a man who started a prop rental business in Los Angeles by going through the garbage of Hollywood studios and pulling their discarded props out of the garbage. We can all learn the most from poor people on how to survive with little or no money.

Looking through garbage is one of them.

dude, that actually isn't a bad idea for us poor folk.

You're sure to find better PC parts at some point. Especially colleges that have any form of computer program.

I'd kill for a better graphics card

Back