Newbie Question, go!

Hey everyone!

A short film I wrote was shot a few months ago on a red epic, but then the editor took it down to 1080 in post, saying that it's easier to edit and that most theaters don't show 4k anyways.

Now I'm working on a full-length summer project that I am directing, just a casual thing with friends, but I'm unsure of what to communicate to the DP about what to shoot on.

What is there to different cameras other than resolution?
I was thinking the panasonic FZ1000 looks cool, but I don't know if this is because of the camera or the lens or what.
Also, how do I know what lenses are of good quality (in case we have to buy/borrow lenses)

Basically, I know nothing. Please set me in the right direction!
I want to communicate to the DP what I want in technical terms, even if they are very broad.

I suggest you discuss the creative aspect of what you want as
a director not the tech specs. Let your DP make the technical
decisions based on the creative decisions the two of you make.
Assuming that your DP has some knowledge in tech specs of
course. If he knows nothing at all about cameras... well...

I got nothing.

What camera is your DP comfortable using? Are you renting
a camera?

shot a few months ago on a red epic, but then the editor took it down to 1080 in post, saying that it's easier to edit and that most theaters don't show 4k anyways.

Yep, yep, true and true.

Easier doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's easier to release a rough cut than a fine cut. It's easier to release a fine cut instead of a final, mixed and graded cut.

If you're not showing in 4k, there's not a lot of reasons to go to the extra expense (requires a beefier machine) to edit in 4k, particularly with the Red. Though, the editor could have used a workflow that allowed him/her to edit in a lower resolution and then finish with the original media. Your workflow if often a function of your budget.

Now I'm working on a full-length summer project that I am directing, just a casual thing with friends, but I'm unsure of what to communicate to the DP about what to shoot on.

If it's a casual thing, who cares what you shoot with?

If you do really care: Work out where you're showing and determine the deliverables required. Do you trust your DP? If so, what you need to do is tell your DP what you need and want to achieve and let them make the camera decisions for you.

Back