Just got my first documentary, legal question (releases / logos etc.)

Hey all,

So there is a really cool family run music shop with a very rich history in my town. I was in the shop talking to one of the owners and mentioned I'd love to do a documentary on them. They loved the idea and I have met with all the owners and the stories they tell are incredible. Some have played with the Stones even. Anyway I was setting up some shots with beautiful guitars and amplifiers in the background and realized I know jack $hit about the legal aspects. I guess I just assumed that b/c they wanted me there, and it was about them that I didn't need anything, I'm starting to think that is not the case. I read up on model releases and printed one out, not sure if I need that or not since there is no pay involved, but I would like to be able to submit my work to a PBS station or festival so i'm thinking it is needed? Also what about the equipment they sell in their store, we are talking Yamaha, Fender, Marshal, Blackstar, basically anything and everything, am I allowed to show that stuff? If not I'm not sure how I can even do it since their business is selling these things :no: Any help would be really appreciated.

Eh? Whats your question?

1. Are talent releases required even though I'm interviewing the owners of the company about their company?

2. What about shots inside their store of guitars, drums, keyboards etc. that are products of companies like Fender, Marshall, Yamaha, etc. which they are an authorized dealer, am I allowed to include that footage in the film or do I have to get a release from each brand of instrument?

Thanks.

1. Are talent releases required even though I'm interviewing the owners of the company about their company?

Yes and no. You don't NEED a release to shoot an interview. Technically you just need a device to record the interview and a willing (or in some cases unwilling) interview subject. Depending on what you want to do with that interview, you may require a release. Requirements may also depend on your local laws.

2. What about shots inside their store of guitars, drums, keyboards etc. that are products of companies like Fender, Marshall, Yamaha, etc. which they are an authorized dealer, am I allowed to include that footage in the film or do I have to get a release from each brand of instrument?

If you're using their logo or referring to their company, you may find that you need a release depending on your usage and local laws.

Since you're looking at PBS stations and festivals, it's worth looking at their requirements (part of their deliverables). They may require a wide range of releases (or even E&O insurance) even though you may not legally required to obtain one.

I shot a scene inside a liquor store with all kinds of little products seen behind the actors. A lawyer told me that I did not have to cover any of that up. As long as it's not the subject of conversation or the focal point of the shot then I think you're OK with products in a store.

Thanks guys. I got to thinking, I mean they have their logos plastered all over their website and are authorized dealer so I can't imagine it being an issue. I hate that we have to even worry about this stuff but oh well, thank the lawyers I guess. I'm thinking about just having a nice soft focus anyway that you would only be able to make out shapes, not logos anyway. I just am not sure what to do when they say "we sell...X and Y brands", I mean certainly that is ok correct, it is the truth and they are just stating a fact, not talking about how good or bad X or Y brand is?

Back