Zoetrope Virtual Studio and putting your scripts on the net

I would put my feature script on the net for peer feedback

• I did it once and wished I never had

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They'll see my script when they prize it out of my cold, dead hand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was just wondering what you guys know about the Zoetrop Virtual Studio.

http://www.zoetrope.com/

I found it whilst doing some research into distribution companies.

I've always been nervous of any site that encourages people to put their screen plays and ideas in the public domain. However, this is Zoetrop.

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences of it.

Hmm.. apparently I voted already? They can read my stuff after its shot or if they are working with me. Not before then, certainly not before its finished. I think I might be different in the regard that I don't really like others to refine my work - I feel I know its good and done.

One of my employees (and screenwriter trying for her big break) uses a similar website, Ink Tip.

She's not particularly concerned about having her scripts nicked, she says.

She had them copyrighted and registered with the WGA before submitting them, though.

(This is not an endorsement of said site... I just happen to know someone who is okay with hawking scripts online)

Zensteve said:
She had them copyrighted and registered with the WGA before submitting them, though.

It's my understanding that you have to have one or the other to post your script.

From what I've heard of Zoetrope I'd stay away. What I've heard is that in their "contract" you have to sign away rights to the script. But it's worded in a way that us common people without law degrees wouldn't notice. Of course that's coming from another non-lawyer.

I have heard very good things about Ink Tip and Triggerstreet (owned by Kevin Spacey). Both have had screenwriters make major deals including the current release The United States of Leland.

Poke

Back