• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is there a best way to promote composing?

If an artist/composer is known, has a lengthy body of work and trackable success, how do they begin the process of networking their talents and services in film score and composing? Aside from this site, are there areas where someone can/should post and promote? Specific avenues that film makers go to for original work from accomplished and legitimate composers?

links removed

Last edited:
Also interested...

I am interested in learning the exact same thing. I have been writing music for years. I have wrote music for theatre productions, but I want to expand to films now.

Timothy S. Klugh
Grove City, Ohio, USA

Hi it's been interesting reading this thread. I am currently finishing my degree and am looking to get as much experience as possible. I looked at the 48 hour project site and it looks really exciting, thanks for the tip!

As far as the whether you have to have connections or not argument goes I generally feel that connections are best made in a non commital manner. For example when I have approached people making films I have asked if I can have access to the film as a practice exercise. That way I get to practice and get feedback and people will also look at my work without feeling they have a commitment to use anything that I produce. I find a lot of film makers are happy to have alternative music for their work even if they have no intention of using it.

Hi everyone, as someone who knows a little about high level agencies and music soundtracks, I thought Id offer my two cents. Composers need to demonstrate 3 things to filmmakers-

1)the ability to add artistic value to a production through music-this goes beyond making money-you have to meet the filmmaking teams artistic vision for the project-always remember that a film is someones baby.

2)the ability to earn the trust and confidence of the filmmaking team so that they know that their investment in your music will assist them in meeting their financial goals for the film-remember, when they purchase music-it is an investment-a calculated risk-that your music will add value to the film that wasn't there before-value that is worth paying for-this value takes a lot of time and experience composing to build up-many composers make the mistake of thinking that they are worth more than they are, or capable of scoring projects that are simply beyond their current scope. That is okay, everyone has to start somewhere, but it takes time to get there. Value is something that most of the time has to be earned and built-credits and past working relationships do this but it is also a general mindset and an approach to conducting business that separates the amateur from the professional.

3)Professionalism-credits and past working relationships do more than show a composer the value of their investment-it shows your dedication to your craft and that in turn demonstrates your commitment to produce great music, meet deadlines and be able to create music that will sound great and work with the production and thats the bottom line.

So, my best tip for composers is to keep shooting high, but set attainable goals and you will get where your hoping to go. Remember as well that just because your music is great, that still doesn't mean you have the necessary career experience to handle a big project. In all honesty, when you do finally get that big project you will be glad you had to work your way up for a couple years. Then you'll have made your mistakes on films where everyone was laid back and could laugh at them, not when say $50,000 is on the line and the producer from company X is threatening to sue/kill you because your computer crashed when you loaded too many vst's and missed the deadline or because you couldn't afford the proper studio to record 13 cellos and now your mix sounds too 'airy' and 'dry'. Working your way up the ropes has its advantages and targeting the specific filmmakers doing projects at the same level as you is the best way to go. Find out who they are and talk to them personally about where you are at. You might just find that they will think its pretty cool you're at the same spot in your career as they are with theirs.

Just a word of advice from an agency guy who sees ALOT of music and hears a lot of filmmaker's frustrations (whether they are making 500$ projects or huge ones!). Feel free to PM me, filmmakers or composers and let me know your thoughts. I hope it helps.

Robert

This is a fantastic thread, I must say!

I'm by no means a success story when it comes to composing for film/media, I took a break from it for years while I went all "classical" and focussed on teaching, but I have found that if you do a great job for people they will want to hire you again.

Sometimes I've worked on independent zero-budget films where I've thought the production values and script were lacking, but I always wrote the best quality score I could, with the highest production values I could muster. I figure someone might watch the film and think to themselves "crappy film, but awesome music!" and then look out for my name in the credits. It's surprising how much work leads to more work. Directors and producers learn to trust and respect you. Soon enough they spread the word about you and you find you are suddenly in demand. One of those directors could break through, it could be a significant leg-up in your career.

This thread has oodles of fantastic advice - encourage your boy Bryan and tell him that the cream always rises to the top eventually. If he's the best thing since sliced bread then the secret won't be kept for very long. But don't let the fact that he's talented prevent him from taking part in fun and exciting collaborations with other emerging artists.

originally posted by Leah Kardos:

"I figure someone might watch the film and think to themselves "crappy film, but awesome music!"

That´s the point. Good music reflects good technique (orchestration, counterpoint, harmony and so on), good balance, good taste, strong themes (that sort of remarkable themes), sensibility, and believe me, producers and directors would cut their thumb finger off to get a young composer that has ALL of these qualities I mentioned above and many others that I didn´t mention...

So, I think that the first (and probably the best) way to promote composing for films is the excellent quality of your music. Today every professional (not only in the entertainment industry) are not tolarating avarage or simply good stuffs, they want something better than good, avarage or functional...

I believe that looking for young talented directors (that might be in college right now) is the best way to get a career...

PS
Sorry about my english... There´s a long time I don´t practice it....

Take Care!

Back