I'm going to do it!

sfoster

Staff Member
Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.

Luckily you can scout AND start casting at the same time.
I don't know how easy it will be for you to cast enough topless women.

Yeah it's going to be tough.

I only need 3, and I think I can get away with 2 being "implied" nudity.
I want to try asking my ex GF first but it would be nice to know I have my crew before I make that kind of request.

Do you have space in your inbox?
Maybe I can help you a bit.

What looks are you looking for? (Size, long hair/short hair, tattoo or not)
Maryland isn't a super big state like Nevada, right?

Do you have space in your inbox?
Maybe I can help you a bit.

What looks are you looking for? (Size, long hair/short hair, tattoo or not)
Maryland isn't a super big state like Nevada, right?

I have inbox room - And yeah I can get anywhere in maryland within 2 hours. Not like texas where it would take 12 to drive from one side to the other. I'm just south of baltimore.

I'm looking for young, pretty and attractive on camera without clothes.
Any bust size, hair and tats anything goes, any skin color, thanks for the offer to help.

If my DP/Producer isn't on board I'll be in quite a fix. I'm starring in this one so I can't man the camera myself. What a script though, I think he'll be okay with this version.

Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.

It's only 3 pages and its going to take you about a year and a half?! ??

Do you mind me asking why it will take so long for a 3 page script?

It's only 3 pages and its going to take you about a year and a half?! ����

Because I am going to show people something they've never seen before.

• I started writing my short June of 2013
• Principal Photography wrapped in October of 2014 (5 consecutive weekends)
• Started editing immediately after and still going to this very minute of 2015

I can't begin to list the filler inbetween all of this from slowly purchasing costumes/props, testing practical FX, rehearsing/blocking, posters, websites, writing the shooting script, purchasing/paying off my camera, renting lenses, writing/recording music and creating the trailer (a whole ball of wax unto itself I discovered) to seemingly endless sleepless weekends color correcting/grading, editing, reviewing on a half dozen devices and editing again. I think a full-time day gig and family and friends are in this mix somewhere as well, but not sure anymore to be honest.

I'm easily 10,000 hours in on something with a TRT hovering right around 13 minutes.

There isn't anything else I'd rather be doing, and when I do anything else (even so much as glance at the couch in the TV room) I feel guilt-ridden and lazy. I'm completely self-destructive and clearly batshit crazy.

But man oh man when people ask me why I am still working on a film I conceptualized 2 years ago my answer is always loaded in the chamber.

"Oh I'm sorry. Perhaps you misunderstood. You see I'm making a good movie."

p.s.

After carefully reading this entire, often surreal, string, I realized that if you end up springing a certain post on us, let's say right around oh 04/01/16 or so, I'll be the first to exclaim "I knew it!" but rest assured I will quickly follow it up with a "Nicely done sir" and a solid slow clap.

Last edited:
a big day

My film making partner has now read and given me feedback on the new script.

He went from not wanting to be involved in the project to saying it's the best thing I've ever written. We both believe it's going to get people talking!

This is the best news I've had in a while.

Now that he's on board filming can surely begin in august. FINALLY.
I still have jokes in the script but replacing all the sexual comedy with a meaningful message was the right call.

With this Joyful news, I will now publicly unveil the name of my superhero action comedy. It's called Divinity - titled after the film's super heroine.

Guys n Gals I am going to make something magnificent!!

I've messaged 7 girls off model mayhem trying to find someone to play the superheroine.

1 girl said she was too busy. 1 girl ignored me.
the other 5 didn't even log in and read the message or see how much money I was offering for the part.

One I contacted via Facebook said she will do it but I feel like she isn't very committed to the project or understands what she signed up for. She didn't ask me any questions about anything. my experience, any prior work, the project, etc no questions. not even to see the script. This is a bad sign right ?

And i need 2 more models to do nudity as well for the scene, so now I'm starting to stress out a little bit that i might not be able to fill these roles.

At least with the 2 models there is no prep work and it's a single day. I could possibly get some girls from out of state to drive here for something like that.

Last edited:
And why exactly do you want a model rather than an actress?
(apologies if you've explained this already - 7 pages is just too long to look for the answer)

No apologies necessary, and I don't think I explained it.
Some of these models claim to be actresses.. but yeah the reasoning was because the part required nudity and these models all have nude pictures of themselves online already.

So it seemed like it would be easier to work with them in this capacity. plus I can already see that they look good naked on screen, which isn't a huge deal but it's a small plus.

There certainly are models who have become successful actors & actresses, but you might be over-simplifying how easy that transition is. If you just want someone to stand around and look good naked, then (in my opinion) your approach is a good one. But if you're looking for someone to really act, you need a real actress.

My one suggestion is to be sure that the nudity is truly needed - that the woman has to actually BE naked rather than just suggesting nakedness with some creative cinematography.

There certainly are models who have become successful actors & actresses, but you might be over-simplifying how easy that transition is. If you just want someone to stand around and look good naked, then (in my opinion) your approach is a good one. But if you're looking for someone to really act, you need a real actress.

My one suggestion is to be sure that the nudity is truly needed - that the woman has to actually BE naked rather than just suggesting nakedness with some creative cinematography.

I'm not sure how choosey I can really be at this point.
I can send out an email via the actor mailing list that I've used in the past, I suppose I could try that. But yeah without auditions there is no telling what quality of acting you're going to get. And without auditions I'm still having a problem finding someone. at least via this stupid website.

I need 2 models and 1 actress, total of 3 naked women. Unfortunately it's important to the story, I've removed all other sexual elements when I did my rewrite but I couldn't get rid of this one.

I've messaged 7 girls off model mayhem trying to find someone to play the superheroine.

1 girl said she was too busy. 1 girl ignored me.
the other 5 didn't even log in and read the message or see how much money I was offering for the part.

One I contacted via Facebook said she will do it but I feel like she isn't very committed to the project or understands what she signed up for. She didn't ask me any questions about anything. my experience, any prior work, the project, etc no questions. not even to see the script. This is a bad sign right ?

And i need 2 more models to do nudity as well for the scene, so now I'm starting to stress out a little bit that i might not be able to fill these roles.

At least with the 2 models there is no prep work and it's a single day. I could possibly get some girls from out of state to drive here for something like that.

Don't panic right away :P
This time of the year a lot of people are travelling and not everyone logs in all the time to everything.

About the Facebook one: I hardly get get any of the questions you mention, but maybe that's because I always send a link to my portfolio in the first message, provide at least an outline of the script and the date(s) I'm aiming for to shoot on. (So, I try to cover most common questions before they are asked...)
To get some certainty you could ask her which days she is available to shoot: this uestion alone makes it more tangible.
I also mention that 'no' is an answer as well, so I know I can continue my search.

BTW,
on MM you can also post a casting call...

With your encouragement I sent out a casting call through the usual channel. The DC actors mailing list. For my web series when I did this I ended up auditioning FORTY people.

But this time I need an actress willing to do a topless scene.
I only had one reply, and it was someone that doesn't fit what I was looking for. This is definitely proving to be a huge problem.

I offered $350 for about 3 hours work.

You can try posting into NY actors listings - offer $150 plus transportation.

You think someone would do it for $150? That would be nice.
Only problem with NY is that I may need a little trial and error in designing this costume and they're so far away. It seems more likely for them to drop out and give up. I'm going to message some more regular models and maybe make a post on craigslist too.

Like anything else, it's easier to get actors interested if you have some IMDB credits already - that shows that you can get a project done - and if the script is good. I got a number of good actors for my first feature at what was then the SAG Ultra Low budget rate of $100/day. So yes, it is possible to get good actors - both union and non-union - for $150 plus travel. I think it's the nudity that's the issue though, not the pay.

Last edited:
Back