• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

movies without scores

hi all

can somebody please give me a list of films that do not have scores or have poor scores that could be redone.

thanks

Last edited:
There's a big movement now of people writing new scores to silent movies. They offer a little more room for new creativity than a film with dialogue that you have to avoid. Even old silents with great original scores, like Phantom of the Opera, have been redone numerous times.

I used to live in Boston, and I was always very inspired by The Alloy Orchestra, a group that writes and performs new scores to silents. Check them out- they're really awesome.

Boyd Gaffney
Productiontrax.com
Royalty Free Music and Sound Effects, Stock Footage, and Multimedia Content

I'm not going to touch the "poor scores" comment. That's way too
personal. What I think is poor others might think is great.

For the most part these movies have no background score. Some
of them have opening or closing credit music and some of them
have songs, but not traditional background music.
The Tall Target (1951)
The Narrow Margin (1962)
The Birds (1961)
Fail-Safe (1964)
Dracula (1931)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Network (1976)
The Hill (1965)
Marooned (1969)
The Offense (1973)
A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Eraserhead (1977)
Counselor at Law (1933)
Executive Suite (1953)

Interesting that four of these were directed by Sidney Lumet.

I was watching She's the One the other day and wondered if Tom Petty didn't do the soundtrack, and it was scored traditionally, how would it have worked? Also for that matter, The Brothers McMullen which I don't think had hardly any music and could have really used some. If you want cheesy scored films go to the 80's when they were just starting to score films non-traditionally and there's many there that could use a good score.

Dracula (1931)
This film was just re-released with a new score from Universal. It sounded somewhat spooky and muted (to somewhat match the limited audio frequency response of the original film) but I didn't care much for it.

Also, there's a new version of the silent 1922 film Nosferatu (with Max Shreck) coming out soon. I saw it on Amazon for pre-order. They've cleaned up the print as best as they could, restored the original German text, corrected film speed (18 frames per second), and a new original orchestral score in 5.1 Dolby. It's an HD scan too. Looks promising.

Rent Metropolis (1927) and have a good laugh at the 80s soundtrack with Lover Boy and Pat Benetar (1982 restored version).

Back