Camera operator pay/salary

You all remember spinner. Well she sent me an e-mail asking my help in asking for your help. First of all she misses everyone here at IT. Second of all she needs a little advice. She's been offered a job as camera operator with a local production company and they've asked her for her 'rates'.

So how much does a camera operator make in the mid-west?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An owner/operator?
Using the company's camera?
For a live shoot?
For a short film?
For a feature shot on video?
On a daily or a weekly?
For how long?
What's her resume like?

It's hard for someone who isn't a pro camera operator to come up with a competitive number because all these things need to be taken into consideration. I won't even consider an offer for less than $400 per day on a 10 and then $50 per hour over. If it's a live shoot - even live to tape - it's more. If it's a feature, I'd take less. If it's a long term, I'd take less. If I don't use my own camera, it's less. If it's a commercial, it's more.

When I was starting I couldn't charge that much so that needs to be considered. Those are LA, NY, Chicago, DAllas, Austin rates. Maybe 20% less for "mid-west"? But bottom line, she needs to charge based on what her time is worth to her. She may need the gig - she may need the connection - she may like the prodCo.

I'd say $200-300 per day (8hrs) if you've got a DVX or equiv, but add that you'll negotiate if the project runs more than one or two days. That's Canadian funds, mind you. Tell Spinner I say HEEEEELLLLOOO.

Hey hey ZS! Funny how you can miss an avatar. LOL

Good wishes passed on. Keep your fingers crossed (if you do that sort of thing).

Spinner wants to say "Hello" and a "big thanks" for the help and the good vibes.

Last edited:
Back