My film submission experience with Fandor

This is my first post on these forums, and I come here with either a cautionary tale or an amusing anecdote. I am a professional filmmaker with over 18 years in the industry and I own and operate a production company in South Florida. In January 2013, I was submitting a few remaining DVD screeners of one of my short films (TRT 17:30), before the imminent birth of my son. One such screener was sent to Fandor, a distributor I had respect and high-hopes for. After a few amiable back and forth emails, they abruptly ceased contact until last Thursday - 562 days later.

Here is a screencap of our email correspondences and their rather insulting final message.

As an experienced professional, my films and I have been rejected and ignored countless times in the past, it’s rather commonplace when dealing with festivals and distributors. However I found this instance to be particularly galling, as it’s treating a filmmaker as a bothersome afterthought, like an annoying child tugging at a distracted parent’s pant leg. I know that everyone that is reading this has a similar story, and that camaraderie only makes the situation worse. Even if we only spent $100, $500, $5,000, or in my case $9,500 on a short film, we as filmmakers deserve to be treated with professional courtesy and respect. I did of course reply to their email to air my grievances, and contrary to their latest assurance, they did not get back to me immediately. Or at all. Maybe in early 2016…

And yes, I will post my latest reply if there is legitimate interest.

That final message sounds like an automated response triggered by their CRM software, not a specific brush-off directed at you. It definitely sucks that they didn't ever follow up, even if it was just to say they weren't interested, but personally I wouldn't read a lot into the message - they probably weren't even aware that it was sent to you specifically.

I think it's an awesome idea, to publicy air perceived slights in as many social media outlets as possible. That way, anyone looking up Anthony Myles, Tony Myles and Cage XXI Enterprises on the internet in the future will immediately see what matters most to them; apparently it ain't the positive aspects of their own film projects, but whatevs. :cheers:

Don't forget to to threaten to shit-talk about their automated response on Twitter, too. It's @Fandor, if you need it. I bet they have a Facebook page, too. :cool:

As an experienced professional, my films and I have been rejected and ignored countless times in the past

I'm sure there's a story in there, somewhere. :bag:

That final message sounds like an automated response triggered by their CRM software, not a specific brush-off directed at you. It definitely sucks that they didn't ever follow up, even if it was just to say they weren't interested, but personally I wouldn't read a lot into the message - they probably weren't even aware that it was sent to you specifically.

You pretty much nailed the situation, it's just that it seems a rather poorly thought out decision on their part to do this. I can imagine that if mine was not an isolated incident, then their inboxes will be flooded with complaints such as mine.

I think it's an awesome idea, to publicy air perceived slights in as many social media outlets as possible. That way, anyone looking up Anthony Myles, Tony Myles and Cage XXI Enterprises on the internet in the future will immediately see what matters most to them; apparently it ain't the positive aspects of their own film projects, but whatevs. :cheers:

Don't forget to to threaten to shit-talk about their automated response on Twitter, too. It's @Fandor, if you need it. I bet they have a Facebook page, too. :cool:

My film was produced through my production company, and it was through that entity that I submitted my film, and I posted on this forum as an agent of said company. Which is obviously why I chose not to hide behind the anonymity of the internet, and also why I chose not to publicly identify the individual senders of the email(s).

In no way did I “shit-talk” or threaten to “shit-talk” these people or the company they represent, I am relating an unfortunate business experience I had with them and it goes no farther than that. I am sincerely not trying to start or instigate an argument, but it’s ridiculous to state that I should not air this publicly due to some phantom consequences that may befall me or my projects at a future date. And I do think that it does show that communication and professionalism matter to me, and I honestly believe that I chose the correct forum to post in. I did so with the sincere belief that it could be beneficial to others. If any Mods disagree, then I will not argue if they take it down.

I'm sure there's a story in there, somewhere. :bag:

Of course there’s a story behind that, there are likely more than I can recall, I am unsure as to what you’re implying with that statement. As I mentioned earlier, my career is in the film industry. It is how I’ve earned a living for nearly two decades. In that time I’ve negotiated contracts, negotiated overseas distribution, worked my up from Gaffer to DP to Director, had repeated rental contracts with Panavision, Arri CSC, Hollywood Rental, processed/transferred with seven different film labs, consulted with Kodak’s R&D department for atypical film stock(s) and processing, shot for ad agencies, corporations, record labels, film festivals, thesis projects, commercials, shot projects that wound up shelved due to changes in corporate management, and to this day I still shoot film exclusively. Anyone that has worked in this industry and survived for more than two years has their share of wondrously ridiculous stories, I am positive that you’re no different.

I didn’t come here out of anger or spite, or to make enemies, it was in the sincere belief that this could help someone in the filmmaking community. At its least, it's a mildly amusing tale. Far too many of us have had these encounters, but in my opinion they too often go unspoken. This is one instance where I am not bound under contract or a confidentiality agreement, so I can share it publicly. I can see how some of my semi-colorful choices of language could dull that argument, and for that I apologize. If there is ever a next-time, I shall not be so careless with analogy and wit.

Back