A Quiet Place

Hopefully watching it some time this weekend! Without giving anything big away, thoughts? Good or bad?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it and I'm torn about it. On one hand it is a very interesting scenario, brilliantly acted and directed. It is directed by John Krasinski, who plays the main father character. His real like wife, Emily Blunt, plays his wife in the movie. I'm very impressed at the quality of their work. He hasn't directed many movies, but did an amazing job with this.

On the other hand..., the lapses of logic. I'll just say this; if you knew that creatures hunted by sound, why couldn't you just throw a rock or something to divert them??? I thought the end solution could have been set up better. I can't say more on that without spoiling it.

Definitely worth a watch, Very intense.

I saw it and I'm torn about it. On one hand it is a very interesting scenario, brilliantly acted and directed. It is directed by John Krasinski, who plays the main father character. His real like wife, Emily Blunt, plays his wife in the movie. I'm very impressed at the quality of their work. He hasn't directed many movies, but did an amazing job with this.

On the other hand..., the lapses of logic. I'll just say this; if you knew that creatures hunted by sound, why couldn't you just throw a rock or something to divert them??? I thought the end solution could have been set up better. I can't say more on that without spoiling it.

The scenario of the movie is what has me intrigued. But after I watch it I’ll def wanna know your thoughts on the set up of the end solution.

Spot on.

I saw it last weekend and loved it.
Certainly there are logic lapses but that's not the kind of thing I care about in this type of movie.
The acting and directing were both excellent. I appreciate the fact that it starts where it does (spoiler avoided here), and the length is just about perfect.

Definitely worth seeing.

You must care about logic in movies. That can turn off the audience. If it's fantasy, that's when logic gets thrown out of the door.

This movie straddles the fence on that, where some people will buy into it, and others will have questions. A lot of movies require suspension of disbelief. I'll give you an example. In the movie, SPEED, they've set up this scenario about the bus rigged to blow up. The audience is 100% into this. At one point, the bus has to jump a huge gap in the freeway overpass, at an upward angle. Totally unbelievable, but the movie is pretty good, so why let one or two scenes ruin it, right? You suspend your disbelief and move on, because it doesn't happen too much.

With A QUIET PLACE, it sets up a set of rules (conventions of the film), but a lot of them don't jive with reality. My wife loved the movie and had no issues. I really liked it, but certain things kept nagging me, as we left the theater.

The scenario of the movie is what has me intrigued. But after I watch it I’ll def wanna know your thoughts on the set up of the end solution.

Sure, I'll share my opinions. Do not read this text, until after you've seen the movie. SPOILERS AHEAD:

This movie sets up the convention that these creatures can hear anything, from great distances, yet the father explains to the son that when they are next to a waterfall, they can yell and not be heard, because the water is louder. These creatures are literally blind and have no sense of smell. You can be in the same room and they won't know you are there, if you are silent.

So, these creatures hunt with sound, but they don't seem to use sonar, where they make a sound and the audio reflections show the surroundings. If this was my movie, I would have had a scene where the monster enters a room, pulses out some audible chirps, and is able to scan the room via reflections, looking for human shapes.

>>If a monster can hear you from a mile away, you would think it could hear you hyperventilating, while in the same room with it. :hmm: Heck, it should be able to hear your heart, when it's that close, nevermind a wounded woman in labor.

>>If running water can cover your sound, why not live by it? Aren't there plenty of houses along water? Why not live in a concrete house or in a basement? Not just the baby, everybody.

>>Why did the father yell, when he was standing right next to a bunch of tools that he could throw for noise diversion??

>>These creatures can be killed with a shotgun, when their plating opens up, so how did they destroy the human population? How did they defeat tanks, planes, big guns, etc.? Yes, I'm aware that they had an armor type of covering, but no one could shoot them in the big open ears or mouths? No one thought to use sonics against auditory predators?

>>If the monsters can hear you from miles away, why couldn't you move away from the spot where you made the sound? If that spot was your home, why couldn't you have a long twine or rope with tin cans on the end of it. You pull the rope, but 200' away is where it makes noise. Granted there were fireworks and a timer used (very cool), but what about simple diversionary precautions, like stones, cans, etc.?

Let me rephrase "setting up the end better." The end is good, but, I thought the filmmakers could have better communicated certain things, such as the creatures' vulnerability, their point of view (like they did with the blind killer bird things, in PITCH BLACK). They could have showed sound reflections - black screen with shapes of audio mapping appearing, when movement happened, even if it was noise from the creature's own footsteps. Something to show how they hunt and navigate. How are their senses with vibrations, etc.?

The way it is, there is a lot for the audience to assume. Those nagging thoughts aside, it is a very good movie. Like the bus jump scene in SPEED, you just have to swallow that and enjoy the rest. :lol:

This movie straddles the fence on that, where some people will buy into it, and others will have questions. A lot of movies require suspension of disbelief. I'll give you an example. In the movie, SPEED, they've set up this scenario about the bus rigged to blow up. The audience is 100% into this. At one point, the bus has to jump a huge gap in the freeway overpass, at an upward angle. Totally unbelievable, but the movie is pretty good, so why let one or two scenes ruin it, right? You suspend your disbelief and move on, because it doesn't happen too much.

With A QUIET PLACE, it sets up a set of rules (conventions of the film), but a lot of them don't jive with reality. My wife loved the movie and had no issues. I really liked it, but certain things kept nagging me, as we left the theater.

Sure, I'll share my opinions. Do not read this text, until after you've seen the movie. SPOILERS AHEAD:

This movie sets up the convention that these creatures can hear anything, from great distances, yet the father explains to the son that when they are next to a waterfall, they can yell and not be heard, because the water is louder. These creatures are literally blind and have no sense of smell. You can be in the same room and they won't know you are there, if you are silent.

So, these creatures hunt with sound, but they don't seem to use sonar, where they make a sound and the audio reflections show the surroundings. If this was my movie, I would have had a scene where the monster enters a room, pulses out some audible chirps, and is able to scan the room via reflections, looking for human shapes.

>>If a monster can hear you from a mile away, you would think it could hear you hyperventilating, while in the same room with it. :hmm: Heck, it should be able to hear your heart, when it's that close, nevermind a wounded woman in labor.

>>If running water can cover your sound, why not live by it? Aren't there plenty of houses along water? Why not live in a concrete house or in a basement? Not just the baby, everybody.

>>Why did the father yell, when he was standing right next to a bunch of tools that he could throw for noise diversion??

>>These creatures can be killed with a shotgun, when their plating opens up, so how did they destroy the human population? How did they defeat tanks, planes, big guns, etc.? Yes, I'm aware that they had an armor type of covering, but no one could shoot them in the big open ears or mouths? No one thought to use sonics against auditory predators?

>>If the monsters can hear you from miles away, why couldn't you move away from the spot where you made the sound? If that spot was your home, why couldn't you have a long twine or rope with tin cans on the end of it. You pull the rope, but 200' away is where it makes noise. Granted there were fireworks and a timer used (very cool), but what about simple diversionary precautions, like stones, cans, etc.?

Let me rephrase "setting up the end better." The end is good, but, I thought the filmmakers could have better communicated certain things, such as the creatures' vulnerability, their point of view (like they did with the blind killer bird things, in PITCH BLACK). They could have showed sound reflections - black screen with shapes of audio mapping appearing, when movement happened, even if it was noise from the creature's own footsteps. Something to show how they hunt and navigate. How are their senses with vibrations, etc.?

The way it is, there is a lot for the audience to assume. Those nagging thoughts aside, it is a very good movie. Like the bus jump scene in SPEED, you just have to swallow that and enjoy the rest. :lol:

Finally got around to watching it and I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I def agree on a lot that’s already been said on here. One of many reasons why I enjoyed it was the set up and leaving the theater wondering so many things. Very different from movies I’ve watched lately.

also I learned that it’s impossible to eat popcorn quietly. When like the only somewhat noisy scene came around I went in on my popcorn. I learned that it’s impossible to eat popcorn quietly lol

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I certainly did. Often times, it is best to go into this kind of movie with tempered expectations. I went in sky high, so I came down a bit.

I watched the movie and had some kids whispering behind me the entire time.

Here are my thoughts *spoiler warning*:

I didn't think they needed to have the birth scene in the movie. While the fireworks were going off it just didn't seem like enough time for her to give birth and then be silent. I think it would of been more effective if she was pregnant the entire time and we never knew if she was going to have the baby or not. Also I have to say the nail in the step was one of the scariest things in the movie. It would of been funny to see the monster step on it.

Overall it was a fun movie to watch.

Wow that seems like a quick move towards a sequel.

***SPOILERS***
I hope they decided to make "part 2" about destroying the monsters and explaining what happened to begin with.

The first couple of weeks at the box office are the most important for theatrical releases. A QUIET PLACE is in the #1 spot, in week three. Paramount badly needed a hit. This movie was made for 17 million, which is a small budget for them, especially for the kind of business it is doing - currently 213 million dollars, worldwide.

And, yes, I totally would like to have some more background story.

Back