• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shadow Puppets With After Effects

Hey you guys!

So I'm doing a theater production, for which I wanted an accomplaniment to play on screen. I wanted the accompaniment to be these shadow puppets, and I figured my limited knowledge of after effects could possibly suffice to create something simple. However I'm doing something wrong, or maybe my concepts are a little limited, and I figured if I explained what I was doing, maybe someone could point out where I was going wrong.

I used a jpeg of stretched fabric, which I took into photoshop and color graded it. I imported that .psd into after effects, to use as the screen for the projection of the shadows. I turned its opacity to around 45% thinking it'd mean the shadows would be visible from both sides.

I then created a simple square object in front of the screen, and enabled shadow casting on it. Then i put a light over it (spot), and enabled casting shadows for that too. So the shadow fell on the screen when viewed from the front. I could now see the object, and the shadow it was casting on the screen.

What I had figured was that if I would like at the thing from the back rather than the front, I'd see just the shadows, as seen on the screen, just horizontally flipped over. However, it was all dark. I couldn't even see the screen.

I thought it was perhaps the lack of light on the back, so I added some ambient light to the whole comp. That made the screen visible, but not the shadows.

I know that's a load of chatter, so I'd be happy to answer any questions about any details you guys might need, or if I was too convoluted in that description (i fear I might have been). I just want the screen to show the shadows, not the objects casting them. Why don't the shadows appear on the screen, as seen from the back, when its opacity is set at 45%? I'd really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Use a white background with black figures on it.
Maybe add a little blur to soften the edges.

This will give you almost the same effect in less time with less stress for you cpu.
The only difference is that there is no change of shadow depending on the distance to the screen, because you ae not actually using shadows, but shapes that mimic it.

(The problem you dicribe it probably because the shadow only shows on the side where the light hits the surface. The transparency doesn't let the shade through, because transparency comes first, shadow setting come later in the hierarchy.
Using a prcomposition might fix that.

But I think you are overcomplicating things :P )

Last edited:
Thanks Walter. That did cross my mind. I might just do that in the interest of time. I figured the changing shadows would look nice, but I'm definitely not married to them enough to miss deadlines.

I was curious though as to what was causing it to not work otherwise, just to understand the software better if not much else. Thanks for the tip though.

Hmm, I could be misunderstanding what you want exactly, but have you tried making the object itself invisible so you just see the shadow? That way you won't have to mess around with all the other stuff like trying to put in behind the screen.

Here is a tutorial I found. Looks like it's just a matter of selected 'cast shadows only' from the cast shadows option on the object.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bq05M5FZUA

I tried it out for fun. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcTcCC8H6zc

Back