Video Editor at Wilderness School

TDheadersmall.jpg

Hello,
I am a videographer at a wilderness school called Teaching Drum Outdoor School, located in northern Wisconsin. We currently have hundreds of hours of footage that we are turning into documentaries, YouTube shorts, and instructional videos. In 2014, I filmed 350 hours of footage of last summer's intensive wilderness program, and will be starting to edit a feature-length documentary soon.

You can see a teaser for the Guardian Intensive Training documentary at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj6ya1jeKSE

Also, our YouTube channel contains our evolving collection of instructional videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/theteachingdrum

I am looking for someone to help create YouTube content and assist me in the production of our upcoming documentary. They would need to be willing to live on-site on the Teaching Drum campus. We provide room and board and a small stipend. I am willing to train them on our equipment, if needed.

My interest in videography is that of a truth-seeker. I see it as an opportunity to dive deeper into the subjects that inspire me. Through my story-telling video work, I get to examine my own biases and beliefs. Our programs approach learning and relationship through a qualitative approach; rather than a list of 'whats' we focus on the process of the 'how.' Our video production process follows the same approach: it doesn't revolve around deadlines and goal-oriented stress, but rather an appreciation for the craft in it's own right and what it can teach the editor as well as the audience.

Because we have such an abundance of video footage to process, we are looking for someone who either has experience with video editing, or the potential to learn quickly. He or she will have the chance to create instructional videos as well as collaborate on full-length documentaries, such as the currently 50% complete Inner
Tracking video...

http://youtu.be/KEMr1ry-_qw

...and the Guardian Intensive documentary(see above link). Future filming projects at the school may also create opportunities for hands-on filming experience.

Due to the amount of training needed for the position, we are looking for someone who can commit to at least 3 months.

Teaching Drum Outdoor School is a non-profit community where over a dozen people live and work to maintain the school's programs, publish books, create media, and foster a connection with the Earth through a balanced approach to work, our relationships, and with our environment. We gather and harvest a large portion of our own food from the wild, and much of our infrastructure is repurposed and built by our skilled volunteer staff.

Living at Teaching Drum also avails you to the many activities of the school, a list of which can be found at http://www.teachingdrum.org/nadmadewining.html?page=volunteer#nav.

Compensation for the position is free room and board, featuring an organic paleo diet, living in a rustic a Northwoods community, shared vehicle use, opportunities to learn outdoor living skills, and a $350/month stipend. FYI - Our community is drug and alcohol free and we do not allow pets. For more information on Teaching Drum Outdoor School, visit
http://www.teachingdrum.org/nadmadewining.html

For any questions on, or to apply for the position, contact Adjul at adjul@teachingdrum.org or 715 546 2944.

Best,
Adjul Gardner

Last edited:
Wow. This is something I would love to do. Something I have quite
a bit of experience doing. I'd even benefit from a paleo diet. What
a wonderful experience.

Wish I could afford to take off for three months. Best of luck!

This sounds like a real cool job, but how 'small' is the stipend? Are we talking $50pw or $400pw? Obviously, you're providing room/board but I'd want to ensure that I also took home a minimum wage. Also, do you provide travel to the camp?

Compensation for the position is free room and board, featuring an organic paleo diet, living in a rustic a Northwoods community, shared vehicle use, opportunities to learn outdoor living skills, and a $350 stipend.

$30 per week.

Hey there, sorry for the confusion on the stipend, the $350 is per month. Oftentimes the first month is unpaid, as we are assessing how functional the new staff is in a much different environment than most people live.

When you say "transportation to camp" I assume you mean to our school's location? I haven't known that we've paid for people's travel.

Also, the 3 months is just a minimum of how long I would like to work with someone. People who come here often evolve their role into something else. For example, I came 2 years ago as a carpenter's assistant and started a whole video division, outfitting, filming, and editing at the school.

I understand money is a consideration, but - for most people - coming here is about the life experience and their own personal explorations. That said, if you're disciplined with spending you could potentially save up most if not all of the money you earn with all utilities/food/ect covered.

Adjul

Sounding a bit cult like.

I'm a working professional. I'm not looking for a life change. I wish you
the best finding the right person.

thanks Directorik

It's certainly not a life for everyone. Albeit myself and the other people here do it as a labor of love, and it's a pretty rich life at that.

The other day I was looking through forums of people asking for help on job interviews for editing/post-production work, and it really hit home how lucky I am to be working on projects I love without the pressure of making myself or others much money from it.

Best to you on your adventure as well :cool:

Back