Are the Arri D-21 and Sony F35 still good?

I have the opportunity to purchase a Arri D-21 with S TWO OB1 recorder for $7500 or a Sony F35 for around $8000 with no recorder. I am really tempted because these cameras have been used on numerous films and tv shows with very film like pictures.

So for those of you with some experience with the D-21 or F35 please share your thoughts and experiences with these cameras and whether it's a good idea to purchase one or the other.

Thanks
Pavost

Both are pretty old and outdated. The D21 gave a really nice image, but the hassle to get that image recorded was a bit ridiculous.

If it was me, I'd look at the F35 with an on-board recorder.

Realistically though, $8000 for an F35, + 1200 or so for an on-board is going to put you at a price range where you could feasibly afford a second hand RED One, which is frustrating to work with, but probably going to give you a picture you like a bit better (and still easier to work with than the D21). Even a Scarlet is not too far out of that price range.

The issue with buying old equipment is that if something goes wrong, you can often be stuck. As well, it makes it really difficult to make any money back on the cameras, as you're going to struggle to rent them out to anyone.

I'd take an F35 with an on-board if I had to from a rental company because there was simply no other option and I had 0 budget, but I'd even rather an F3 with the Slog upgrade recording into a PIX or similar - I've seen ex-rental F3 kits for ~$10k including the 3 Sony lenses it came standard with. I've seen ex-rental RED One kits for ~$5k.

Last edited:
I think you can find better priced $ 8,000 I agree with jax, Realistically though, $8000 for an F35, + 1200 or so for an on-board is going to put you at a price range where you could feasibly afford a second hand RED One. but it's all your decision
buy.gif

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?284-Sony-F35

https://vimeo.com/channels/f35

F35>Red One. At the time the Red One was a 20k camera, the F35 was 250k. It is a much more filmic image and nicer color from the F35 than the Red One, or almost any other HD camera. Hyperdeck has proven to work very well with the F35. Join the dark side.

Also I would suggest going after the F35 instead of the D21, even though both are global shutter CCD's, there is a larger community using the F35 right now and so you'll find more support for issues.

Back