• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Time-code syncing of photos and audio

Hello.
Basically i am trying to record lectures for study purposes. I have a Zoom H1 voice recorder and DLSR and smaller video camera. Plus Final cut pro.
I want record the lectures and at the same time take photos of various notes on the board, then link them up in post to get a type of slide show. Or almost a video with about a frame per 30 seconds.
(To save camera batter and hard-drive space and to get a higher resolution image. )

Basically, can i automatically link them using the time/date the file was created.

Thanks
Richard

Really? is there no way? No other software? It doesn't have to be FCP. what about timecodes?

Well i have about 24 hours of lecture a week. So it quite quickly becomes quite time consuming. Also can't really tell from the audio what image he is talking about. if he has gone onto the next thing or not

I suppose you could lock-down your camera, and put it on a timer, to take one picture, every 30 seconds. I'm sure there's some kind of software that would allow you to create a slideshow, with each slide lasting 30-seconds.

After creating that slideshow, as a video file, you could import it into FCP, and place it on top of the audio lecture. All you'd have to sync would be the beginning, then everything else would match.

for study.. ?? just get a flip cam or something else and video the whole thing.. ? You want pro look that will cost you.. either time, or money. Also, if you have a DSLR, you could do a time lapse of the lecture 1FPS maybe, and if your smart about the rate, you can treat it like a video, setting the frame rate appropriately and it should line up.. )

By the way, I hate to be the jerk, but this proposed method reminds me of a true story.

For working in space, NASA spent boatloads of money to develop a pen that would write in zero-gravity.

The Russians brought a pencil.

Have you considered taking notes? That's worked well, for a long time. Also, taking notes keeps you engaged in the lecture, and the act of writing down what you're seeing and hearing activates a different part of your brain, and helps solidify your retention of the learned material.

Probably not what you're after, but I thought I'd mention the Livecribe SmartPen.

At least with that you'd have audio "sync'd" with your notes. (It records as you write, so later when you tap the pen on your notebook, the pen will play whatever the speaker was saying during that particular point.)

So you remain engaged, AND you have all the audio to listen to in the event that you missed something.

Back