• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

iPhone Filmmaking. The New Indie?

Look at you all hopping on it like dogs in heat.
It's easy to just be sarcastic. You have your opinion, I have mine. It
happens to be the same as several others here. That doesn't make us
all "dogs in heat".
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind but you all are trying to change mine.
I know I am. An open mind is more creative.

I will fail in changing your mind. The closed minded always dig in.
So I won't try again. To you the case is closed.

Last edited:
Gimmick had been embedded in art since... art. You don't have to like it, but it is not against art. Warhol? Banksy? Is Banksy not an artist? He is not using spray paint out of necessity (as you say). He was inspired by graffiti artists, and he can afford a paint brush. Is KISS not a real band? Experimental filmmakers have even used the Fisher-Price PXL-2000 toy camcorder. Not out of necessity. As a gimmick. These films played in art galleries. Like I said you may not like it, but why do you get to decide what goes against art and why are you so bothered by what other people do?
When I ever said I was bothered? I don't go to sleep caring. It bothers you that I feel the way I do and made valid points that can't be discredit.

The bold is the moving of goal posts. It went from anything is art. Cool! I proved it's a gimmick and now we're at gimmicks are embedded in art. :huh::no:

Peruse is by Webster as I learned in 8th grade "to look at or read (something) in an informal or relaxed way". Ironically, it can also mean to look over something carefully. So, I know how I used it and used it correctly.

Edit: Cool little history for peruse i suppose:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/peruse-usage

And I learned a new word: Contronym

I believe you completely missed my point about show business, or you know what it is as you say and i have nothing to contribute since you already know everything.

Last edited:
:lol:

Thanks for that one.

Best of luck Freddy.
People who think they're going to lose need luck. I just need to execute within reason.

I keep faith in GOD and remember what I am set out to do.

I wrote all that because I don't feel any sincerity in you wishing me "luck".

It was more of a concession. I like your message board and do not want to make a disruption but I stand firm in what I believe. I'm not a know it all but I talk what I know.

I wrote all that because I don't feel any sincerity in you wishing me "luck".

It was more of a concession. I like your message board and do not want to make a disruption but I stand firm in what I believe. I'm not a know it all but I talk what I know.

My "Best of luck" is not sarcastic. Do you think I would not wish you well in your endeavors because we debated? Come one man. Half this website is debates it has nothing to do with me wishing luck or not.

The site is IndeTalk. It's what we do here. :)

PS. Glad you like the site.

(really I am!)

My "Best of luck" is not sarcastic. Do you think I would not wish you well in your endeavors because we debated? Come one man. Half this website is debates it has nothing to do with me wishing luck or not.

The site is IndeTalk. It's what we do here. :)

PS. Glad you like the site.

(really I am!)
Handshake, kind sir.

I came into a couple of iPhones and pretty much thought I had won the lotto. Did a bunch of shooting, editing in Premiere and was set to take on the world with my first serious short (approached 100% like a feature, trust me my credit card can still attest).

A week before we began principal shooting (as opposed to test shoots) I rented a Canon 5D MKIII and an "L" series lens (key), shot some test footage, brought it into Premiere and then promptly left the room to change my underwear. Not only the instantly glaringly obvious quality, resolution, depth of field and low-light capability - but also how the footage reacted to color correction/grading. The difference was sort of like playing an Atari 2600 vs a Triple-A title on my Alien PC.

Prior to hitting borrowlenses.com on a gut feeling (though seemingly satisfied I just kept feeling there was something separating my work from even the crappiest of low budget content available on streaming networks) I was kind of in my own bubble and thought everything was great, but when I injested the MKIII footage it was like realizing you were previously living in a Philip Dick novel. I promptly hit B&H and purchased a body (I still just rent "L" lenses as needed, makes way more financial sense for me). Oh and I only purchased because I am true indie mixed with perfectionist auteur (a fate worse than most terminal diseases) so I was my own DP and insisted on learning, practicing and sleeping with the camera to be used on set. Barring this psychosis it is ridiculously affordable to rent these cameras/lenses if one is half way serious about any given project.

I am in perhaps a unique situation to have seen both iPhone footage and MKIII footage on a 40' screen in personal tests. It is literally and quantifiably comparing apples to Triton... moon of Neptune.

Still in debt over this, but zero remorse, there was no contest. And I am confident I would not have been accepted to any of the film fests our humble project has celebrated. I can also confirm no iPhone footage has been present at any of the festivals we've attended.

Now PLEASE note film fest was and still is not the intention of our project (it just keeps happening because my producer keeps submitting, ugh). Our project is a proof of concept to entice investors/funding for a feature in the same vein - but rest assured everything I mentioned is equally if not even more important when considering that goal. Also worth mentioning, I am an old school sympathizer constantly after film emulation, locking 90% of my shots and striving for an idyllic period of cult/cool film which also plays a part in why iPhones couldn't hang. Remember when you were a kid with that gun from KB that shot yellow plastic balls, and then one day your dad took you to an actual gun store and bought you a pellet gun?

If you have no interest or intention to do the film fest circuit, get funding for your indie film talents, or show your film on any sort of a critical (beyond family and friends) public platform in an effort to say "I am filmmaker hear me roar" - then an iPhone is probably perfect. It was for me for a second, until I went kooky and tried a... well... tried a camera. And before I stuck my first impression d!ck out there for the world (and investors) to see, thank goodness.

On the other, if you are just wanting to flesh out some ideas privately, practice your framing and in general hone your craft, then a phone may be iIdeal.

Last edited:
Back