Finding a distributor for your first feature

Hi... I just found this forum and its been a wealth of insightful information.

Like many filmmakers, we jumped into a production completely self-financed. Now that we're in the final stages of post and the film is looking good from a story standpoint, we have started to approach sales agents. Our film is an urban documentary which a strong emphasis on Hip Hop music. The key people in the film are well-known in the industry and outside with each having their own extremely large fan base.

Some of the money that the sales agent is coming back with from distributors in several markets seems low. Now I know what we perceive the value of our film to be vs. what the market will bear may be way off. So I'm wondering what or where I might be able to find out how much distributors may have paid to pick up similar films for? I don't want to jump at the first deals that have come our way, but at the same time we also need to recoup what was already expensed. And at the moment, there is a huge gap.

We're really skeptical of just blindly sending copies of the film. Every film company has interns and its always possible that one copy will find its way onto the internet and eventually bootlegged somewhere.

So, are sales agents worth the % or is it just as possible to find distributors on our own? Our thinking is to set up sales screenings on our own and invite distributors. Has anyone been successful with this?

Sorry for the rambling. This is actually the condensed version. :)

D.

That sounds pretty typical, Thunder.

Then the rep takes over and negotiates the deal. The
more the rep brings in, the more the rep makes.

Once you have made and sold several films the reps work gets
easier and they do more of it. I know it's quite the Catch-22,
but it's no different than any other agent. We all wish that a
sales rep (or agent) would work tirelessly on our project and
spend their own money doing it while we concentrate on our
next one. But for the first few projects, that's kind of an
unrealistic expectation.

A good relationship with a good sales rep is very valuable. You
may start off paying 25%-35% when you have hard to place
movies. But as you get better, attract name talent and make
a profit, the percentage goes down. If all a rep has to do is sit
back and negotiate a bidding war, they are happy taking 10%-15%

distributor, critic and sales agent list

Just about finished with our documentary, financed all ourselves and rented a nice place to screen it for 2008. Want to invite distributors and sales agents to the screening. Any recommendations on 1) Distributors in the NYC area? Sales agents in the NYC area? Or do some of these guys travel to screenings? What about inviting critics? I wrote down the top one rom the paper and was going to cold call and invite some. How Does it work? I don't want to blindly send tickets to people who won't show up. Any info will be very helpful. Just reading this forum has helped.

Honestly you'd be better off attending a Cannes, or AFM and giving out (timecoded) screeners to as many people as possible.

it's not often you can get these people to turn up and you MAY be wasting your time and money. Also be careful on crtics. if the film is well recieved great it will help. if it's not then you could hurt your film before it ever has a chance.

On the subject of sales reps, I question whether a sales rep should pocket 25% of US / Canadian video & DVD sales if like most indie movies it NEVER gets any theatrical or TV release. What does that leave you with? Straight to DVD sales in USA / Canada and foreign sales buyouts. Seems like MOST indie DVD's go straight to DVD anyway. I have a CD distribution deal with a distributor that just started handling DVD distribution and they have accounts with all of the major USA retailers like Best Buy and Blockbuster. So I'm thinking the only thing a sales agent can offer me is connections with foreign buyers. I certainly would not give away 25% to land me a USA / Canada DVD distribution deal, which I can already make happen.

Back