Sundance Reviews

Hey folks - just got back from Sundance and thought I'd spread my two pennies worth of reaction to the films I seen... Hope it helps!

The Corporation - a documentary on corporate mentalities, agendas and corruption. it was too long and, hence, it's points were a little diffused, but it won an audience award and did have some powerful segments.

Confessions of a burning man - a doc on the burning man fest which was intermittently engaging and breathtaking but ultimately a mediocre portrait. The subjects it chose to follow weren't all that interesting in my opinion and it felt occasionally forced and very non-objective.

Easy - a romantic comedy starring Margarite Moreau, which I liked a lot - well acted, written, etc. tho not without its own flaws. It's a "feel-good" movie of sorts that hits its marks very well for the most part and the leading lady is beautiful, talented and wonderfully quirky.

Saddest music in the world - guy maddin's newest film starring isabella rosalini and mark mckinney from KITH, was completely original in style and content but terribly soporific in effect - I slept thru a lot of it and felt completely disconnected from it. It's a bizarre film, tho, and its uniqueness makes it noteworthy.

Zatoichi - Takeshi Kitano's latest film stars himself as the blind swordsman, who is also a masseuse, that comes into a village and begins "cutting down" on the crime scene there. Photography is lush, saturated and wholly beautiful and the action is bad-ass and gory. There are even some surprising dance numbers thrown into the mix. Kitano's had his own thing going on for a long while, and it's great to see that he continues to put out awe-inspiring work.

Well, hope this gives you some fodder for future rentals whenever these films get released. Zatoichi is being released by Miramax, tho who knows how or when they'll put it out - I'd guess straight to video, but if it does play theatrically, check itout.

Back