British feature film requires funding.

Hello there, i'm currently in the pre-production phase of a British Comedy which is currently entitled "The Bar." This should be a relatively low budget film, however we do need to get the whole production off the ground (EG we have no equipment as yet!) and we would also like to accquire the rights to a very contemporary soundtrack. As yet we havent approached anyone as regards prices of the soundtrack as that has yet to be finalised, however i dont expect it to be cheap. If anyone knows of any companies that give out grants or would be interested in working alongside us then please let me know. The film will be shot in the North East of England probably starting in June or July, and will be aimed for commercial release of some sort. The target audience is young people aged 15-25 particularly students, and is in a similar vain to American Pie, only British (Therefore funnier!)

Finding funding for a indie comedy is best done through private donations (at least I've been led to believe). Grants and foundational donations usually go to indies with a social comment to make (being gay is hard, having a broken family is hard, living in a small town is hard, etc.). Comedies usually have no social comment to make, so usually foundations and groups stay away from them.

If you have a subplot involving someting socially minded, go to a corresponding foundation (a girl succeeding in a man's world - a feminist orginization / a man dealing with cancer - a cancer orginization / a young person coming to a decision to save sex for marriage - a safe sex orginization / etc.). If not, go the private investor route.

Shoot a trailer or a scene from the script. Throw screening parties and invite potential investors (family, friends, small business owners, doctors, lawyers, basically anyone with money and an interest in movies).

Anyway, that's a rehash from so many different sources that I've sought out. It is the way I am attempting to fund my feature film.

Then, of course, there is the Robert Rodriguez/Kevin Smith route - find some way to raise a small amount of money yourself, shoot the movie, sell it to a company, and let them take care of the big costs like music.

**Also, if you take the route of seeking grants and donations from foundations, be prepared for it to take a while (years, even).

brunken dastard said:
American Pie, only British (Therefore funnier!)

Be careful, we aren't above ruining your tea again!

Poke

There are a couple of social points that i do wish to get across. This is more of a gritty black comedy style in places, and the film deals with issues such as drug use, and debt. Following your advice i think i will contact the NUS (National Union of Students) as they are the films primary characters/audience, and various drugs organisations.

Did contemplate the Kevin Smith way of funding a film but im already in enough debt as it stands, and my credit rating is such i cant see me getting approved by any credit agencies lol! :blush:

And perhaps my "funnier than American pie" comment was wrong, how about "Cleverer than American Pie, as regards the humour."

I like the idea of getting the film shot before adding the music, it might not sit as well but if i can sell it with a view to add the music then thats no issue. I do believe that soundtracks go along way to making a film though and it would be very important to me that it did eventually have the right music for it.

Thanks for the advice

BD

brunken dastard said:
There are a couple of social points that i do wish to get across. This is more of a gritty black comedy style in places, and the film deals with issues such as drug use, and debt. Following your advice i think i will contact the NUS (National Union of Students) as they are the films primary characters/audience, and various drugs organisations.

I wish you luck in that. But don't forget the private donations. You more than likely will end up getting the majority of your budget from there.

Did contemplate the Kevin Smith way of funding a film but im already in enough debt as it stands, and my credit rating is such i cant see me getting approved by any credit agencies lol! :blush:

Trust me, I know the feeling. Also, I live in Austin (where Robert Rodriguez subjected himself to mediacl experiments in order to raise the budget for El Mariachi) and every day I drive by the signs advertising money for prospective guinea pigs. I just don't think I can bring myself to being a lab rat.

And perhaps my "funnier than American pie" comment was wrong, how about "Cleverer than American Pie, as regards the humour."

Just so you know, I was joking. We Americans are far to lazy to come all the way to England just to take up for American Pie, although we do enjoy Shannon Elizabeth's breasts.

Poke

I agree with the fact comedies cant touch on issues in society, sometimes it's better to look at something serious from a lighter point of view.
Just because it's funny doesn't mean it can't have anything more important to say about life itself :D

Back