Actor Contract

So I'm not sure if you guys know this already but I will be starting principal photography of my short film next week!

Now, I'm just wondering, is it really necessary for me to have my actors sign a contract even though they are not being paid and even though they're non-union? Also, can you guys direct me to that contract for a no/lo budget film?

Unless you're making promises of anything in the future, probably not as long as everyone understands what they're getting out of it. Just be sure you've made it absolutely crystal clear to him.

Check out Sonnyboo.com for some model contracts, just adjust to the specifics of your project.

There's no reason NOT to get people to sign contracts, but don't sweat it if you can't/you forget. With a short, not for profit, film it's not a big deal and 99.9% of the time no one will ever ask to see signed documentation.

Absolutely have each actor sign a likeness release. Sometimes called
a model release or video release or photo release or actor release.

Very, very important.

Like Directorik said, releases are extremely important. That release (modified to be your name obviously) should work fine.

As far as contracts for getting someone to commit, there have been many on here burned by "free" actors not showing up, showing up late, doing half the shoot and losing interest etc. They swear to themselves that they'll use contracts in the future.

I, on the other hand, won't ask someone to sign a contract who's volunteering their time. I know I wouldn't sign it if I was in their shoes. I've only had one actor ever that "burned" me, and he had a last minute death in the family to deal with and had to travel out of town. He let me know when he knew, the night before the 5 AM shoot. Got on the phone with everyone I knew and one of the other actor's brothers came and probably did a better job.

So yeah, releases absolutely, contracts no. I mean, what are you going to do if they break it, sue them for the $0 you paid?

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I may as well post my question here too seeing as it's on topic...

For non-proffessional actors we are going to get them to sign release forms, thats fine however we now have three pro-actors (been on TV in uk, one is still on) that are in (non-paid) but our producer has decided to offer a few points from the film if it sells. Is a release form still fine and we offer the points verbally or draw up a contract or what?

A RELEASE is required where they give you the right to use their image and voice. To alter it, to change it, to subject them to public humiliation, to make them look like a complete a-hole if you want, from now until the end of time on all media now known or ever to be invented throughout the entire universe.

Back