What is shooting a Trailer...?

I dont get when people post castings for a trailer? who makes just a trailer? do people actually pick scenes from their scripts to film to make a trailer to generate interest?

This is just a side to filmmaking that I havent discussed yet, Perhaps it could be used to campaign for a fundraiser, I dont know...

do people actually pick scenes from their scripts to film to make a trailer....?

Yep.

Perhaps it could be used to campaign for a fundraiser...

Exactly. The majority of sucessful crowdfunding campaigns feature a pitch video. Oftentimes, that pitch video includes the trailer.

Did you see 'Grindhouse'? Both 'Machete' and 'Hobo With A Shotgun' started life as fake trailers within that movie.

I made 2 fake trailers in the past for the fun of it.
It was a great excuse to try different things in 1 or 2 days without worrying too much about continuity and logic :P
I used them to send to friends, family and business relations to wish them a happy easter...

A trailer can indeed be used as a proof of concept and ability.

Yep.

Exactly. The majority of sucessful crowdfunding campaigns feature a pitch video. Oftentimes, that pitch video includes the trailer.

Did you see 'Grindhouse'? Both 'Machete' and 'Hobo With A Shotgun' started life as fake trailers within that movie.

wow I cant believe I was ignorant to think that people only made trailers from finished films... I have no idea that this went way over my head.

I suppose at the same time it gives confidence that you can know what to expect your movie to look like...

another day, another thing I have learnt..

It's hard, expensive, and time consuming to shoot a whole movie. A trailer is only the highlights. It's short, cheap, and entertaining. If it's popular enough, a movie will follow.

Back