Any tips on audition for a movie being shot locally?

It's a longer length movie than usual, and figure that's a good sign. I hope to build connections, and even if I don't get a part I would like to be behind the camera to work and learn. I have already been given a chance to audition on their date, but do you have any tips going in? They don't really give me a lot of info on what they want in the character. Thanks.

You know, you should really make up your mind. Do you want to write, or do you want to act, or do you want to direct, or you want to do audio? What is it that you want to do? You'll never achieve even basic proficiency if you don't focus on one craft.

If you want to do audio then go apply as an audio assistant/cable wrangler. If you can't get that, ask for a PA position. By watching a pro in action maybe you'll learn something (although I really have my doubts).

Thanks I already joined one.

I want to write, direct, and act. Audio, not really, but I don't mind, and do it because no one else where I live knows how.

Last edited:
Good thing you already joined! That's the best solution you can get. :) Remember, the more you act the better you should get. Practice makes perfect after all. The more acting you do, the greater the number of actors and directors you will work with.

Last edited:
do you have any tips going in?

The best piece of advice I can give you: Before you open your mouth, take some time and think about your usual response. I mean really think about it. Take your time. Your response is important. Then take exactly what you would have said and say the exact opposite. It may not make sense but I guarantee, you'll end up with better results.

As a matter of fact, if you turn up and don't speak, you'll make a better impression than if you open your mouth. A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Hell, if you really want to impress them, send them the links to a few of your threads. Trust me, they'll appreciate it.

Do you want to write, or do you want to act, or do you want to direct, or you want to do audio?

Leave the poor fella alone. He's hopeless at writing, directing and audio. Acting is about the only thing he has left to completely FUBAR up.

Audio, not really, but I don't mind, and do it because no one else where I live knows how.

I just did some proof reading for you:

Audio? No one where I live knows how.

Less is more and you need to be brutally honest in your writing. You can thank me later.

best of luck

Record yourself constantly and become get used to what your actions really look like and not just what you imagine in your mind's eye.

General audition tips. Be on time. Be prepared. Don't ******* come in until they ask for you. Worst actor's we've ever had are the one's that just come in like they're already part of the crew and don't give us the space we need to prepare.

Before you even start your performance there's a pretty good chance that they have already decided whether you're out or if you'll get a call back. Don't let rejection get you down, people are after very specific things and no one can be everything. It's just part of the industry. If you make a good impression then that will stay with the casting director after this project is over so it's not wasted.

Never say the phrase "I've decided to do a military monologue" and expect people not to laugh. Believe me, we can handle the truth.

Back