Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Narrative

Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
j0shgreene
Basic Member

DISORDER

My final statement as a high school filmmaker. Ready for USC and Los Angeles in the Fall.

Winner of BEST DIRECTOR and BEST PICTURE at the 1st inaugural Triton Film Festival

j0shgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Congrats - that's awesome!
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Will try to watch soon.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
j0shgreene
Basic Member

Awesome! Lemme know whatchu think
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
j0shgreene
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post

Will try to watch soon.
Just curious if you got a chance to watch it. No worries if not. Just curious on some feedback
Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Thought it was put together well. It relies heavily on commercial music you'll have to ditch that as you progress and become more serious, looking at festivals/distro etc. (unless you have rights of course).
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
j0shgreene
Basic Member

Quote:
Thought it was put together well. It relies heavily on commercial music you'll have to ditch that as you progress and become more serious, looking at festivals/distro etc. (unless you have rights of course).
Thanks for the feedback.

What would you recommend as an alternative? In my current position, I do not create music or know of anyone really capable or wanting to create a small soundtrack. I may have not looked hard enough but I feel like the free online selection is not great.

Personally, I find music copyright law flawed altogether anyway, but I have yet to come up with a better system, so I can't really argue with it.

However, at SCA in the fall, I believe you are required to have all music rights. So kids usually collaborate with the music school to create scores. Really looking forward to that.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

There's composers that will work with you if you do not want library music. Some will for free, if you have a project they like.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Also indie bands love getting their music in films.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

For the record, the commercial music in your project to me did not "make it or break it." In fact it took me out of it a bit, because I knew it was not used legally and that's all I could think of since you played it so much, so there's that!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
j0shgreene
Basic Member

Quote:
For the record, the commercial music in your project to me did not "make it or break it." In fact it took me out of it a bit, because I knew it was not used legally and that's all I could think of since you played it so much, so there's that!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to YouTube's recent change in copyright policy, I think I'm within legal right of using the music.

YouTube now recognizes copyright claims and generates view revenue for the label per views, rather than simply flagging/muting or potentially blocking the video. But since my video isn't even monetized and I'm not making money regardless, how could there even be a violation? Using music in a video to share with colleagues seems no different than having music in a family video.

I'm sorry you were taken out of the film. I do hope to try something new with music on my next project.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

YouTube is not the US Copyright Office.

If you steal a TV and I let you in my house with it that does not mean you are within the law lol. But we have all used it, especially in film school as I did.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
j0shgreene
Basic Member

Quote:
YouTube is not the US Copyright Office.

If you steal a TV and I let you in my house with it that does not mean you are within the law lol. But we have all used it, especially in film school as I did.
I appreciate that you recognize I'm not the only one. Just goes to show that we need to seriously progress our copyright legislation. The Age of Information is advancing too quickly for the government.

I honestly should just approach Joy Division's label with this film to see if they believe I served the music honorably.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I won an award using a song by The Cure in film school. Also we share memes and pics from google all day on the web. Even our avatars on forums are mostly stolen. But if you want to get serious you'll need to do it right.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #15
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

For my second feature (DETOURS), we found many terrific indie bands and singer/songwriters who were delighted to let us use their music for free in exchange for a credit and thanks.

It took us some time to put together - it was a combination of reaching out to people we know and also watching videos on YouTube then contacting the musicians - but it really worked out well. Plus the musicians were very appreciative of the opportunity, which made it doubly successful.
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote