• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing a Two Part Script

Currently I'm writing a two part finale script for a webseries. (More on that later.) And I wanted some input. Using the three act structure, I was figuring that the first episode would end around major plot point two, and the following episode would include the resolution, so the first episode's third act would be instead in the second episode's first act. It that the right way to approach this? Writing the episode is no problem, as I've already completed others for this series, although this script originally began as a single episode, it was agreed to be the two part finale. So now I'm trying to come up with ideas for the second part introducing higher stakes. For those more experienced, it this the proper way to go about this?
Thank you,
Daniel

You can do it that way or simply have the second storyline unresolved. Audiences sometimes like a completed story. Completing your A story does that but with the more ominous B story in the wings.

Episode One - the hero manages to save the girl BUT the villain still has the weapon. It all seems safe UNTIL there's a reveal.

Episode Two - the hero now needs to track down the villain to regain the weapon and bring the full story to a conclusion. Except, along the way, we're introduced to a possible situation or individual who is prominent in the future episode.

There always needs to be a hook for a series.

Ah, I see. so the objectives are changing. Thank you. Put like that, now I see these elements present in many shows. With this particular series, the episodes are very much self-contained. I just came back from meeting with other members of the team, and I determined that with this particular story, It may be best to simply approach as a single episode. But that opens up space for a new script spot, so a writer will be very happy abut that. Thank you though. :)

Back