New and jumping in the deep end

Hello All,

My name is Brett Ortgiesen and I am from Tacoma, Washington but currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in a little town in Transylvania, Romania. I love to write and make short movies and I plan to be hanging around for some much needed advice now that my internet is working at full speeds thanks to the introduction of a third donkey to power the service provider...Anyway I am starting my final project which will involve providing my kids with a new form of self expression and creative outlet in the form of film production and I need some professional advice on anything from structure to best methods, the final end product will be hopefully a documentary about identity and community in a post-communist country, or something like that, anyway the kids are excited but I need some help and possibly any contacts to anyone living and working in Europe. Anything really. Thanks and keep doing what you love!

P.S You can check out my Vlog and maybe give a couple pointers for my grant I am trying to write at www.ortsreport.blogspot.com

Also a couple short vids that I made before my computers cable burnt out on YouTube 'ortgiesens'
'am facut un foc' has been getting some good reviews

Ok Enough,

pa

Brett Ortgiesen
Peace Corps Volunteer
Group 25, Romania

The good news is, there is no “best” method. Your way will be just
fine. You are trying a new form of self expression so my advice
to to make it personal - tell your story from YOUR personal point
of view without thinking about the “best” method.

But I can see from your post that you don’t even know what you
want to do. Yet. There is no set structure for you to follow so
that should free you to choose anything you want. Decide what YOU
want to tell others, what YOU feel is interesting to other
people. Sometimes just shooting everything will help you with the
process.

I like the theme of identity and community in a post-communist
country. How about running with that? Is that really what you
want to do? What I like are doc’s about people. I’ve been working
on a doc about a hiker walking across America. He feels the doc
is about the places he has visited, I feel it’s about him his
journey. We fight a lot but we have discovered that when he shows
MY version the reaction is usually better. People are more
interested in other people then is broad themes. You’re working
with kids in Romania - how about showing us what’s it’s like to
be a kid in Transylvania Romania. Pick two or three of the most
interesting, outgoing kids and show up their lives.

Or what about you? You’re doing something pretty amazing. I’d be
very interested in YOUR story.

Here’s a LINK to a "travelog" version of the doc I'm editing. May
it will spark something.

Brett, I am from Austria. But I am not quite sure how I could help you?
You say anything can help, but the more specific you are what you need the easier it is to help.

The good news is, there is no “best” method. Your way will be just
fine. You are trying a new form of self expression so my advice
to to make it personal - tell your story from YOUR personal point
of view without thinking about the “best” method.

But I can see from your post that you don’t even know what you
want to do. Yet. There is no set structure for you to follow so
that should free you to choose anything you want. Decide what YOU
want to tell others, what YOU feel is interesting to other
people. Sometimes just shooting everything will help you with the
process.

I like the theme of identity and community in a post-communist
country. How about running with that? Is that really what you
want to do? What I like are doc’s about people. I’ve been working
on a doc about a hiker walking across America. He feels the doc
is about the places he has visited, I feel it’s about him his
journey. We fight a lot but we have discovered that when he shows
MY version the reaction is usually better. People are more
interested in other people then is broad themes. You’re working
with kids in Romania - how about showing us what’s it’s like to
be a kid in Transylvania Romania. Pick two or three of the most
interesting, outgoing kids and show up their lives.

Or what about you? You’re doing something pretty amazing. I’d be
very interested in YOUR story.

Here’s a LINK to a "travelog" version of the doc I'm editing. May
it will spark something.
Thank you for your advice Directorik and I checked out your travelog, looks like a lot of fun. My project is mostly designed to give the community the neccessary knowledge to continue making movies after I have finished with my service so its not about 'me' persay but about 'them' though I will help with most of the direction. The structure of the film itself and the particulare processes I have a decent understanding of, it the actual steps from inception to completion, the actions that need to be done which connect one phase to the next, that I could use some help with. Also what types of things did you wish you knew when you made your first doc? Thanks for the help.

Pace,

Brett

Brett, I am from Austria. But I am not quite sure how I could help you?
You say anything can help, but the more specific you are what you need the easier it is to help.
Hello Freezer,

Wow I saw your post-production skills and they are amazing, for how long have you been in the business? To be a little more specific I can really use some advice on some neccessary equipment that will be needed for a low-budget film, I can probably raise around 5000 so within that budget. I also need to make some contacts with people in the industry in Europe, even better in Romania who can help with advising and maybe even come for a training once the participants have had a couple months training. If enough money is found we could provide compensation. I guess help in the technical things that I know little about, which comes to a lot at the moment. Thanks a bunch!

Brett

for how long have you been in the business?
For almost a decade. And my own business has been founded 2.5 years ago.

to be a little more specific I can really use some advice on some neccessary equipment that will be needed for a low-budget film, I can probably raise around 5000 so within that budget.

Well, I am sure I can give you some advice how to spend the money carefully and for the right things.

I also need to make some contacts with people in the industry in Europe, even better in Romania who can help with advising and maybe even come for a training
For that I think it would be best to contact local business - either they can help or they at least can give you some names to contact.

I think Directorik said it best. The most important thing is that you're having a really good time with it. That's going to carry you through some of the more difficult patches.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

Back