• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Unfinished Scripts" - Possibly the best(and funniest) lesson on how not to write

"Unfinished Scripts" - Possibly the best(and funniest) lesson on how not to write

I just found out about this incredibly funny collection of script pages. Unfinished Scripts is a twitter feed written by Gavin Speiller. Every post is supposed to be the first page of an unfinished script. But they are all hilariouly crazy and usually written in that certain way bad scripts are written. A lot of "we sees" and uses of the word "suddenly". Here's his twitter feed with all of the pages of scripts.
https://twitter.com/UnfinishedS

I guess the word "suddenly" is kind of lost in time. It's somewhere between present tense and future tense. If you wrote "An angel suddenly appears" you could also write, " An angel appears out of nowhere". Only one of the two ways makes you "witty". ...To me they both mean the same thing, but every venu has its nuances I guess?

I read in the "Book of Eli" script where "in an instant" was used instead of "Suddenly". To me, even if its an instant, it's still a period of time passing. The script also used the line, "If you blinked your eyes you missed it" to describe how fast Eli schwacks off that bad guy's arm with his blade in the opening act.

This truly is a strange profession. Lots of strange rules to follow.

-Birdman

Last edited:
"Speed Words":

Which is faster? "Suddenly"? Or "instantly"?

I say "Instantly" because you could have something "suddenly" appear, but on film it fades in over a second or so. If you saw an angel appear in one or two second's time you'd still tell your buddies that an angel suddenly appeared. However! If an angel "instantly" appears ...then you can't just fade her in smoothly, right?

But wait!

If a teacher directs a student to go to the restroom and you write, "The student instantly went to the restroom". That could mean he didn't do anything else other than go straight to the restroom. Hell, the restroom could be waaaay down the hall and take minutes to reach!

That's why you should always use "instantaneously"!

"Instantaneously" removes all doubt and is faster than, "suddenly", "in an instant" or "instantly" ....because it's a much bigger word!:yes:

-Birdman

Last edited:
I appreciate the humor. As an honest aside, most readers (and screenwriters) are taught to avoid adverbs (--ly). I think this is because they do tend to be overused by novice writers. Sometimes, it's the best word for the job, however ...

In screenwriting, you are describing what the viewer sees. To say "The angel appears" is the same as saying "The angel suddenly appears" or "We see an angel appear". We've added words that aren't needed. Because the first time you report the action, it is implicitly "sudden" or "instant". Of course "we see" or "we hear" so including them is unnecessary. You will often hear the mantra "Don't use adverbs" but I would suggest you use them sparingly and appropriately.

An example where it may be appropriate: "The angel appears, stumbles and frantically gathers up himself back up." Another might be "A gun goes off. The bullet leaves the muzzle racing towards the target. Time shifts as the angel moves towards the bullet frozen in space and examines it curiously." In these cases, the adverb qualifies the action as a guide to the actor. Most screenwriting guides will suggest you pull out the thesaurus to find an appropriate word. Using adverbs can be a cop-out by lazy writers.

"The angel turns angrily to the man." What does 'angrily' mean? How angry? Why is he angry? Angry, happy and most emotions should be described with more detail. "The angel's eyes squeeze closed, evincing a tear. The eyes flash open and he spins about to face the man." This conveys more meaning and context than "turns angrily". The script is a framework for the actor, director, and production crew. From that standpoint, every word should have a constructive purpose. So many "rules" are really just commonsense guidelines that have lost their context.

My apologies to the OP. The pages are fun to read (not just because they break the "rules").

Back