Do You All Buy Extended Warranties?

When purchasing equipment like camera which often cost more than $1,000 up to tens of thousands, do you buy extended warranties? I am going to purchase the GH2 and B&H offers a 3 year protection plan for $150. It includes damage caused by drops, heat, and almost everything else, and if they cannot fix it, they give you your full purchase price including tax. However, Amazon offers the GH2 package for $50 less, and there is no sales tax (saving another ~$90). Is it worth the extra ~$300 (cost difference, tax, and warranty) to buy from B&H and get a warranty?

Yes, I buy extended warranties for most pieces of gear. I also prefer to buy from a dedicated vendors. The few extra dollars is worth the customer service. If you develop a relationship with one person in sales you can negotiate deals, and, as they know you, they can make recommendations that pertain to your situation - both my B&H and Sweetwater guys saved me a lot of money on my last upgrade. They also are nice to know for expediting warranty repairs. And I know that they are certified resellers and that they'll be there next year

When my studio was flooded in '07 my filing cabinet was, of course, in the studio as well. B&H and Sweetwater were both able to provide me with new receipts for all of my purchases which I needed for insurance and tax purposes. They also saved me several thousand in software replacements when my iLok was lost in the flood. That's not going to happen if you're buying from random dealers to get best price.

Then there is the group that believes buying extended warranties is for suckers. If there wasn't money to be made in selling extended warranties, nobody would sell them (they take in far more cash than pay out -- its high profit margins for EW sellers)

Most problems crop up under the original warranty. If your camera keeps breaking down, unload it before the period expires. There is no guaranteed promise your camera remains 100% covered -- they could say its a wear item or you misused the camera, then the burden is on YOU to show you didn't. There is also the problem of tracking down these people when the camera breaks -- many go belly up.

IMO, just say no and keep the money you would have paid for EWs in bank account for use foe equipment repair. Odds are you'll have $$$ left over in the end.

Insurance, is another matter entirely and not related to the discussion.

I bought the AppleCare warranty on my first laptop based on a good friend's (who worked there) recommendation and it came in handy. They replaced every part on it but the aluminum frame at least once. I buy it for all my computers now, but off of eBay where it's at most half price.

As for every other piece of gear, nope. I'm a lot more rough with cameras than most of you guys are too. I treat my gear more like tools and less like newborns. I actually just stuck my camera out through the fence off the top of the empire state building. Stunning images, wouldn't have been the same the "safe" way. I do spend on quality bags though like porta-brace and similar. I had a big camera a few years ago take a tumble down a full flight of stairs in a still-unzipped porta-brace bag. Came out without a scratch. The only camera I've had go down was after 6 years of use. Thea manufacturer fixed it for $140.

Back