I might have a job on another feature film, but...

I also will do shots of the city, as recommended and put them together, but I was told to make a story out of it. I have looked at shorts that are shots of the city put together, but I don't see how they are telling stories really. They are just shots put together. I can do that but not sure what story I would be telling.

This is a completely different discussion about visual storytelling with or without actors.
Randomly putting shots together tells no story, that's for sure.
But it can still be beautiful to watch.
With a little thought about the shots and order one can show the atmosphere of a city or the downside, darkside or funside of a city.
When going from dark to light or vice versa you can show a city waking up or going to slep (or not, if it goes on and on and on at night).
These examples are stories, but not in the sense of: 'farmboy wants to be a pilot, but has to stay to help with the harvast, until 2 robots show up with a message from a princess to a hermit wizard in the mountains. After evil soldiers kill the farmboy's fosterparents he has no choice than to accompany the hermit to the fortress where they hold the princess in custody. With the help of a smuggler they free the princess and save the rebels from destruction.'
(The robot probably gives away which movie this is ;) )
Music and sound will help to convey your story.

Go watch Koyaanisquatsi to broaden your view on storytelling.
Here is part one in a crappy rip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08qE8BD-B_s
I don't say you have to make something like this, but for me it was a movie that expanded my view on how you can tell a story.

BTW,
well done: you shot and edited something.
Nice music, btw.
Why did you put 1 nightshot in the beginning?
Which shots do you think are the most interesting to watch?
What feeling does the music give you?
Does it make you think about shots that you can add?
Now imagine it has to be a promo for your city: what would you show and what would you leave out of it?

ERROR!J#oijwormeovmqw-r0i420j ti-0424,cop qm jignourm ofoilmmakingfialm]]]
=wel-

... what is this? A short video?

Error solved.

This is what you should do. While flawed, you captured the energy and spirit of the city. Continue doing things like this, and you will find yourself improving and able to work your way up to larger projects.

:clap:

Okay thanks.

This is a completely different discussion about visual storytelling with or without actors.
Randomly putting shots together tells no story, that's for sure.
But it can still be beautiful to watch.
With a little thought about the shots and order one can show the atmosphere of a city or the downside, darkside or funside of a city.
When going from dark to light or vice versa you can show a city waking up or going to slep (or not, if it goes on and on and on at night).
These examples are stories, but not in the sense of: 'farmboy wants to be a pilot, but has to stay to help with the harvast, until 2 robots show up with a message from a princess to a hermit wizard in the mountains. After evil soldiers kill the farmboy's fosterparents he has no choice than to accompany the hermit to the fortress where they hold the princess in custody. With the help of a smuggler they free the princess and save the rebels from destruction.'
(The robot probably gives away which movie this is ;) )
Music and sound will help to convey your story.

Go watch Koyaanisquatsi to broaden your view on storytelling.
Here is part one in a crappy rip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08qE8BD-B_s
I don't say you have to make something like this, but for me it was a movie that expanded my view on how you can tell a story.

BTW,
well done: you shot and edited something.
Nice music, btw.
Why did you put 1 nightshot in the beginning?
Which shots do you think are the most interesting to watch?
What feeling does the music give you?
Does it make you think about shots that you can add?
Now imagine it has to be a promo for your city: what would you show and what would you leave out of it?

Yeah the one shot in the beginning as a dusk shot, or after dusk. So I should have put it in later maybe. I put in their cause I thought it would make a good secondary intro shot originally. One shot I would change or remove is the shot with the old statues. It's not very good, and was shaky cam, which is why it's edited too quick perhaps.

Now you are analyzing it: why didn't you make sure the shaky shot was less shaky or why didn't you leave it out in the first place?
About the second shot: why did you think it would be a good second shot?

Just asking, because it will make you think about your edit.

Well I ask those questions cause this is a filmmaking forum after all, and I do really appreciate the advice given, and have tried to put it to good use. I felt that I needed to learn how to shoot first.

But I should do more than talk, you are right. Here's a video of city shots by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIHgnJEDog&feature=youtu.be

As far as getting two actors for my short, I have been having trouble find two! I got one but could use another and a PSM, hopefully before the DP and other actor forget about it. I keep looking but still no luck. I will try to gain more confidence, and perhaps find a change of my approach.

See, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that video that you did. You put some shots together of the city, added some music an now you have a nice little piece. Do a couple more of those and refine the mistakes and areas that need worked on. That's how you test and see what works and how to make it better.

Maybe try and focus on one subject and do a video about that. What's the deal with that water plane. You could easily do a one/two minute video just on that. Establish the location of where this thing takes off from. Is it open to the public? Show people getting on the plane. Get a ticket yourself and jump on. Get some interior shots from inside, show it landing. Once you focus on a specific subject you start to have a theme even if there is no talking.

Keep going man.

Okay thanks. The plane I caught by accident. It's where I was shooting from to get the first shot of the piece. But I don't have any shots to establish that the plane is flying in the same location that I am shooting from. It just happened that a plane flew by so I wasn't prepared to get any more shots to go with it unfortunately and just moved one while shooting. Next time if that happens, I will try to think ahead on more shots to go with something like that.

But I should do more than talk, you are right. Here's a video of city shots by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIHg...ature=youtu.be

Way to go man. :clap:

Easy enough to put together? Why not try making ANOTHER 1 minute video and really try and set a tone for the piece? Can you use music/shot selection/editing to give the video a distinct feel?
eg. 'Dangerous City', 'Lonely City', 'Busy City', 'Greedy City', 'Cool City', 'Scary City', 'Joyful City', 'Filthy City', etc, etc. Try and convey a particular feeling, then perhaps rework it or shoot for something entirely opposite.

Keep up the good work. :)

Back