Approaching talent with a controversial subject matter

I plan on shooting my first feature early 2014, and, to be quite blunt and to the point, one of the main themes of my feature is rape. I will be working with a small crew (myself, DP, sound guy/boom op, makeup) with a budget of sub $15k. My concept has not been done before in this way, I've done a lot of research and although the bones of the story have been done before, this direction/version certainly has not. If executed well, this could be a commercial (if controversial) success to some degree.

My question is, my lead and protagonist is a young female (adult - late teens, early twenties). Especially as I'm working with a predominatly make crew, how can (should) I approach a potential lead actress in terms of the project itself and working with a predominantly male crew. No scene will require any nudity (although suggested), but will require physical/close contact with a male lead.

Any suggestions? Should I recommend she brings a "buddy" along to build confidence and provide support? Perhaps sign a disclaimer of some sort? Buy them a puppy?

Last edited:
Any suggestions? Should I recommend she brings a "buddy" along to build confidence and provide support? Perhaps sign a disclaimer of some sort?
Don't jump the gun. Don't think about the production as you
audition talent.

In your audition notice mention the controversial subject matter
without going into specifics. Mention suggested nudity. Then at
the audition you can talk about the all male crew and the scenes
that may cause some actors to be wary and how you will treat
the shooting of the scenes. Once you narrow down your choice
you can show them the script. Once you hire your actor you can
ask her what you can do to make her comfortable during the shoot.

Definitely get it written down that you have her permission to use her likeness in the film and stuff. All too often I've dealt with actors who watch the film after the fact and change their minds and cause problems.

I had a comedy where a guy was implying to a girl that he date raped her to mess with her head because she was a bitch to him all the time - and the male actor was fine with it all thru pre-pro and shooting. Once he saw the finished cut of the scene he was fine as well.

Then he showed the scene to his girlfriend and mother and they took issue with it so he did too.

So make sure you get it in writing first.

Having dealt with this in general - I'd be as upfront about it as possible with your actress. Let her read the script before committing to the material, and then set up a meeting with her to discuss not only what the scene is about, the point of it, what you're saying with it, how it's going to come across in the finished film - but also discuss with her the WAY in which you'll be shooting it. Let her know far in advance who will be on set, their purpose and your rules for running the set.

You want to make her feel as comfortable as possible. And even may want to a lesser extent do the same with the crew on set.

Once that's done, I would rehearse with her and one of the most professional things you can do is make sure you have a shot list / storyboard done of the scene WELL in advance and show it to her and discuss everything and see her input and make sure she's once again comfortable.

As far as comfort on set goes - I would suggest the best approach is for her NOT to have random non-film involved people on set (unless she's underage in which case it's illegal NOT to have someone on set with her). If anything you and her and the male actor should be comfort for one another. Rehearse well ahead of time so there's little of "working through the awkwardness" time being spent on set and the scene can be shot like ripping off a bandaid.

One last thing I had to learn the hard way - your cast is only about 30% as confident as you are as a director. If you are friends with them, it may be a little more. But your confidence with actors / actresses in regards to the importance of the scene and it's execution is pertinent to making them feeling comfortable in your hands. Demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and aware of what you're doing and they'll trust you. Shiver for a moment and it can all go out the window.

Hope that helps.

- Jow

Don't jump the gun. Don't think about the production as you
audition talent.

In your audition notice mention the controversial subject matter
without going into specifics. Mention suggested nudity. Then at
the audition you can talk about the all male crew and the scenes
that may cause some actors to be wary and how you will treat
the shooting of the scenes. Once you narrow down your choice
you can show them the script. Once you hire your actor you can
ask her what you can do to make her comfortable during the shoot.

Definitely get it written down that you have her permission to use her likeness in the film and stuff. All too often I've dealt with actors who watch the film after the fact and change their minds and cause problems.

I had a comedy where a guy was implying to a girl that he date raped her to mess with her head because she was a bitch to him all the time - and the male actor was fine with it all thru pre-pro and shooting. Once he saw the finished cut of the scene he was fine as well.

Then he showed the scene to his girlfriend and mother and they took issue with it so he did too.

So make sure you get it in writing first.

Having dealt with this in general - I'd be as upfront about it as possible with your actress. Let her read the script before committing to the material, and then set up a meeting with her to discuss not only what the scene is about, the point of it, what you're saying with it, how it's going to come across in the finished film - but also discuss with her the WAY in which you'll be shooting it. Let her know far in advance who will be on set, their purpose and your rules for running the set.

You want to make her feel as comfortable as possible. And even may want to a lesser extent do the same with the crew on set.

Once that's done, I would rehearse with her and one of the most professional things you can do is make sure you have a shot list / storyboard done of the scene WELL in advance and show it to her and discuss everything and see her input and make sure she's once again comfortable.

As far as comfort on set goes - I would suggest the best approach is for her NOT to have random non-film involved people on set (unless she's underage in which case it's illegal NOT to have someone on set with her). If anything you and her and the male actor should be comfort for one another. Rehearse well ahead of time so there's little of "working through the awkwardness" time being spent on set and the scene can be shot like ripping off a bandaid.

One last thing I had to learn the hard way - your cast is only about 30% as confident as you are as a director. If you are friends with them, it may be a little more. But your confidence with actors / actresses in regards to the importance of the scene and it's execution is pertinent to making them feeling comfortable in your hands. Demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and aware of what you're doing and they'll trust you. Shiver for a moment and it can all go out the window.

Hope that helps.

- Jow

Wow, two great (and very prompt) responses. The response I am getting is lots of preparation, show her that this isn't a whim project and scene, backing this up with storyboards and lots of rehearsal. It's obviously key that everyone, let alone the actress is at least comfortable with filming the scene, let alone understanding its place in the context of the story.

I think from that first meeting, I will get a real idea fairly quickly as to whether she will be comfortable filming this. It is just the one scene that would take less than a couple of hours to film. Will consider anything she will find appealing to help (I.e. a female crew member or friend/family present). I do like the idea of having lots of prep to show her in a meeting, so will storyboard the hell out of this.

Given the rape and nudity I think it's only fair to be 100% up-front about it from the outset. I don't think it's fair to do a casting call without stating this, or only giving vague hints at it.

Having people come to a casting then hit them during the casting or later, once the cast is selected with the full script and details is grossly unfair in my book.

I'd have something along the lines of: 'Very challenging role, some nudity required` or similar on the call. Sure probably less people will come but the people who come to the casting will be there under the right pretext.

Others will disagree with me but for me it's not just about what I produce, it's also about how I get the work done and how I treat the people I work with, and come into contact with.

Back