1 year, 1 filmaker, 50 films

Hi Guys,

So I have finally decided to get off my butt, stop procrastinating and film some stuff, learn from it, rinse and repeat as many people quote on here.

Taking inspiration from Preston Kanak a Filmmaker from Saskatchewan, Canada (whom I have spoke with) who made a film a day in 2010, I shall be taking on a slightly lesser task of a film a week (50 in total) I am fully aware there are 52 weeks in the year but 50 sounded nicer :D

I have decided to start a blog and share all my experiences along the way, the highs the lows, the equipment I used and why.... it will be a warts n all blog.

I am hoping it will not only be interesting to the general public but be a good resources for like minded indie filmmakers to learn from and witness my mistakes and not fall into the same traps.

I am not great filmmaker and am hoping this will be a great learning process for myself and make me a better filmmaker.

It would be great if you could have a look at my blog and even follow/subscribe to it and of course give me feedback on the films I upload :D

www.the50filmproject.wordpress.com

Any questions just ask!

Thanks

Mark

So its sunday and Film 5 is now online :D

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/closed-season

Hope you enjoy

Really liked that, with the whole memory/ghost/echoes thing going on. Gave it a shoutout on FB & Twitter.

Thanks Steve, I will definitely take you up on that offer... Have you got any V/O work online?

Online? You can download free & play Wing Commander Saga at www.wcsaga.com which has me doing a few. Also, the original Frontier: Prelude To Darkness animated series. (The reboot has kinda stalled for now). I need to make an actual reel for this, I 'spose. :blush:

What a bloody week!! haha

This weeks film has been an absolute nightmare, although I knew I was away on holiday last weekend and it was my sons 1st birthday last tuesday, i thought i could fit in some time to do the film and upload it at least on monday....

I filmed everything and edited it then came up against my first problem, for some reason final cut x was having a "moment" and decided it didn't want to export the project, after much searching online and trying different things I finally conceeded I would have to start fresh and edit all over again. This then put me back to yesterday (weds) late last night I finished editing and uploaded to vimeo, only in my half asleep state didn't I notice a couple of issues with the video, so I had to make some tweaks and re upload today (thursday) so finally here we are....

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/film-6-the-10-minute-challenge/

Lessons learnt: Dont edit half asleep and have the patience of a saint with technology ;)

Absolution, you're doing some great work here, I'm really impressed by how you're sticking at it!

Having said that, I feel that Video 7 was a little laking in variety. It's pretty much all mid-shots of the dancers, from the same angle. I think more variety in the shots would have offered most interest, some extreme close-ups of other parts of the body might've been nice.

Anyhow, the shots you did get look good, keep it up!

Hi Mad Hatter,

Thanks for the feedback, I completely agree with doing some more close up shots etc... my main problem was because it was a live event with a crowd etc, I was tucked in one corner with my 55-250mm lens on and it zoomed right in at 250mm, So all i could pretty much get is mid shots! haha

It was very very hard in low light and with the dancer moving at a fast pace to keep everything in focus etc

The joys of filming on location!!

The good news is, The dancer has been in contact and really liked what I did and has asked me to produce some more choreographed videos for her. :D

I really liked My Sacrifice. Very watchable and informative. I would have liked to see the same questions asked to Stixx (I think) as it felt mostly focused on Mark (I think). The cut shots were bery good and a wide shot of the whole ring would have been welcome as opposed to all close and zoomed shots of certain areas. Also reactions from the crowd (I did see a bit) would have made me 'feel' a bit more, as there is nothing better than seeing a kids face light up or count to 3 with everyone else.

Hi Lando,

Thanks for your comments, Yes definitely looking back on it, I would have liked to have got more shots and I think you a right about seeing kids reactions.

The reason I focused more on Mark Haskins was because he has been involved with TNA Wrestling which is a big american wrestling company like WWE, so he was a good poster boy for the documentary. Stixx was a pleasure to chat to and has so much knowledge of the industry.

I also interviewed 3 other wrestlers but that day definitely proved not everyone is a good interviewee haha!

I did really enjoy filming the documentary and its given me food for thought for expanding it into more of a feature length documentary delving further into the dark side of wrestling (painkillers and life threatening injuries etc)

Anyhow the 50 film project keeps on rolling and I'm now up to Film 11..... :D

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/film-11-projection

Im not going to lie the past 3 weeks and videos have been very tough due to family life, work and the general pace of life! haha

Hey Guys,

So the first video is up.....

http://the50filmproject.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/video-1-by-the-river/

it was pretty nerve wracking releasing it as ive had a few people say they are interested to see how I progress.

Already only a few minutes after I've put it up, there are changes I want to make and things I don't like!!

Would really appreciate some feedback, both positive and negative.... I dont get offended easily, but be nice as its my first! haha

Musician and song?

Back