Director Demo Reel

There's not a lot of information out there about putting together a solid Director demo reel. I see plenty of info about editing, DP, and Acting reels, but nobody seems to talk about Directing reels. So, I assume (which could lead to bad things) that most producers would want to see that a director can visually tell a story within a scene or clip, composition, working with actors, production value, pacing, etc. How close am I?

Here's my latest directing demo reel. What do you think? Should I focus on other elements or different kinds of visual play? Any advice is appreciated.

Directing Demo Reel 2013

What do you want to see that I have missed?

Also, do you have a directing demo reel? Share it on here and let's compare and contrast what we need. I'm definitely fighting to make this passion my career.

Not bad at all. I might have changed some of the angles, but I guess that's just personal preference, as your angles were good too, and would work with pretty much all audiences I would assume.

Where I have I seen that actor before? The interrogator. Wasn't he on Seinfeld?

Last edited:
Not bad at all. I might have changed some of the angles, but I guess that's just personal preference, as your angles were good too, and would work with pretty much all audiences I would assume.

Where I have I seen that actor before? The interrogator. Wasn't he on Seinfeld?

Thank you. I like to think that my work is broad enough to play for wide audiences.

Lane Davies. Yes, he was on Seinfeld and one of those popular soap operas from the 80's. You've definitely seen him on tv.

Well, any criticism is appreciated, but when you can't afford to pay actors, that's what happens, haha. I'll definitely agree about some of the actors. I guess we gotta start somewhere.

agree... I have same problem... Thats why I moved to music videos lol

how did you make the film with such good quality with no money? (or did you have money?)

agree... I have same problem... Thats why I moved to music videos lol

how did you make the film with such good quality with no money? (or did you have money?)

Thank you. We had very little money, enough to rent a little bit of gear. A lot of the quality comes from knowing how to shoot within the limitations. Since I come from a post background, I'm able to figure out what I need for post on set.

But, the most money spent was in the Hunter clips where we used the Red Scarlet. Everything else was very cheap.

Back