• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Zoom H4n

Hey everyone, I need help. I want to buy the Zoom H4n and i thought that is all you need. But now i hear that you need to buy a shotgun mic. So if anyone can help me on what i will need. Such as the mic, recorder, mixer, and cable or etc. Anything else i will need? I am extremely new to sound. :huh: So all the help will be great!

You don't need a shotgun mic with the Zoom H4n...it has a pretty decent built-in microphone.

But it also has two XLR microphone inputs. If you were to attach a shotgun mic to one of those inputs, you'd have an even better signal.

Good film sound is all about the signal to noise ratio, where "signal" is the voices of the actors talking and "noise" is everything else. The closer you get the microphone to the signal, the less noise you'll have.

You could get away with sticking the Zoom close to your signal and using the onboard mic, but an easier and better way is to stick a shotgun microphone close to your signal and point it at the actor who is speaking. Run a cable back to your Zoom and use it as a recorder only.

Thanks for the heads-up Uranium. I am seriously eying the H4n with a strong intent to buy in the next few weeks. Sound is not one of my strengths but is the H4n intuitive and easy to learn for a sound noob such as myself? Can I link it a speaker or some other such source. Thanks for your help again.

The Zoom is intuitive and easy to figure out.

Yes, it has two built-in mics, but I think using those would kind of defeat the purpose of buying it for video production -- why not just use your in-cam mic?

An inexpensive mic, on a boom, will get tremendously better sound. I hear a lot of people recommend the Rode NTG-2. I took their advice, and it's been getting good results for me.

http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NTG-2

You'll also need a boom, and a shock-mount would be good. An XLR extension cable would probably be a good idea, as well.

Thanks guys for the info.

Cracker, I have a set of mics - an Audio Technica condenser shot-gun mic and Shure dynamic mic. They do the job for now. I planned on using these mics with the Zoom, unless I am in a tight spot and am in a pinch for time then I will use the device's mics.

Zensteve, these instruction manuals you speak of, what is? :)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
While the Zoom's internal mics are decent for recording ambient sounds, they simply do not have a tight enough pattern to capture dialog with getting alot of room sound as well. Add the fact that you will still need a boom pole to get the zoom's mic within 20 inches of the talent to get usable dialog.

I'm not knocking the Zoom, and as a recorder it does the job nicely at a good price. But there is no substitute for a shotgun on a boom for capturing dialog.

Boom pole, shock mount, microphone, and wind protection is the start of good dialog recording. Take it to the camera and get phantom from there. The recorder gives you some flexibility.

As far as recorders, you may want to consider the Tascam DR-100 as well. I choose the Tascam for the added ability to have the wired remote which I attach to the handle of the boom pole and can roll audio without having to take a hand off the pole.

Thanks guys for the info.

Cracker, I have a set of mics - an Audio Technica condenser shot-gun mic and Shure dynamic mic. They do the job for now. I planned on using these mics with the Zoom, unless I am in a tight spot and am in a pinch for time then I will use the device's mics.

Zensteve, these instruction manuals you speak of, what is? :)

Thanks again.

Thanks guys for your input. But like i said, i have absolutely no idea about any of this. What is this signal spot and the all the confusion. I know i might sound really noobish and dumb, but i have no idea about anything with sound. I have a Canon t2i and as of i know, it has terrible sound for a dialog. So what should i do?

Find a boom op for your projects.

The thing is, location sound people focus on only one thing, location sound. They live and breath it. When you consider the cost of investment into good location sound gear, and then add the mix the fact that you will still need someone else to operate and focus on sound, the benefits of a location sound recordist far outweigh the costs.

Unless you have a passion for sound and sound alone, there is far too much involved to give you the impresion that it can be done with only one person and a camera.

Of course, I may be biased...:)

Thanks guys for your input. But like i said, i have absolutely no idea about any of this. What is this signal spot and the all the confusion. I know i might sound really noobish and dumb, but i have no idea about anything with sound. I have a Canon t2i and as of i know, it has terrible sound for a dialog. So what should i do?

Buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROPHONE-SHOC...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439a8dbe6b

Duct-tape it to a broomstick. Or, spend a little more, and forget the broomstick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO99-SM-9-Articulated-Microphone-Boom-Pole-Shock-Mt-/400085476955?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item5d26f3e65b

Put one of these into your shock mount:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rode-NTG-2-Shotgun-Condenser-Microphone-Mic-NTG2-NEW-/290454730020?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0737524

Use one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/25ft-XLR-M-F-Extension-Cable-Connector-Audio-Adapter-/150471758448?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2308d0d270

...to connect your mic to your recorder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoom-H4n-H4-n-4-Track-Recorder-16GB-REMOTE-HEADPHONES-/370402233420?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563db18c4c

Do a little research on how to boom-op. Press "record".

Find a boom op for your projects.

The thing is, location sound people focus on only one thing, location sound. They live and breath it. When you consider the cost of investment into good location sound gear, and then add the mix the fact that you will still need someone else to operate and focus on sound, the benefits of a location sound recordist far outweigh the costs.

Unless you have a passion for sound and sound alone, there is far too much involved to give you the impresion that it can be done with only one person and a camera.

Of course, I may be biased...:)

That is some good advice, except my intuition tells me the OP doesn't have the budget to take it.

The mics on-board the H4n are specifically set for stereo recording which will cause no end of audio problems once you get into audio post. However, capture 10 or 15 minutes of stereo ambient sounds in each of your locations, it will be very useful in audio post and can go into your sound library for use on other projects.

A shotgun mic is best for outdoors, the Rode NTG-2 is very popular. A hyper-cardioid condenser mic is best for indoors, the Oktava MK-012 is also a low budget favorite. You can DIY a boom-pole from a painters pole.

Thanks guys so much for your input. I feel like im learning so much already.

I cant believe how many techniques you need to follow. Learned most of them from "Alcove Audio". Will refer to that in the future.

But for now, im going to save up for the list "Cracker Funk" had made. Seems very good and hopefully it will help.

Back