H4n Zoom/Canon 60D Hookup

So... I just bought an H4n Zoom the other day to improve my audio. And I know how to record separately, how to log sound for post-sync, but I was just wondering if there's any way to directly connect the H4n audio with my Canon 60D? :)

Why would you want to?
You raise a good point.

I know a few micro budget indies use eg a H4n with Rode NTG3 and output the H4n into their DSLR (eg Canon 5D Mk3) so the 'baseline' audio captured by the camera is better (than that offered by the camera's 'mic' and internals). Why? So post audio syncing may be a bit easier and less manual syncing/intervention is required.

I considered this when I was purchasing my gear... But prior to buying Pluraleyes, I asked the support team at Red Giant whether my Canon 6D's 'mic' and internals would be able to capture an audio signal good enough for Pluraleyes to sync to, or should I do eg the above (I'm using a Tascam DR40 and Audio Technica AT4053b with Canon 6D). They said the Canon's signal should be good enough for most scenes - so maybe not all.

To the OP, if you want to do this, you'd need something like below (-25dB Attenuation cable). The signal from the H4n would be far too hot for your camera. It needs to be brought in line with what your camera can handle. Also turn the sound capture level of your DSLR down to the lowest possible level then raise it one - so it's just one click above the minimum level. You don't want your camera's preamps (which are very sub-par quality) ruining the audio - you want to use the H4n's (which are a good bit better - but not great).

Whirlwind WHH4NL 3.5 MON Line-to-Microphone Attenuator Cable for HDSLR Cameras
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...NL3_5MON_WHH4NL3_5MON_Line_to_Microphone.html

Note if you're not using a quality external mic, I would not do this. If you're using the mics on the H4n save the $35. You can sync on the audio captured directly by the camera.

If Pluraleyes cannot sync a particular scene, provided you clapper-boarded it, you should still be able to manually sync it.

Last edited:
juicelink

You might be interested in a juicelink pre amp. I have the h6 and definitely agree audio syncing is a pain! (Thinking about buying plural eyes)
But you can avoid that entirely with a preamp to camera. Plus the preamps in the juice link are better then the h6 and h4n as well.
Hope that helps!
-Kolton

You might be interested in a juicelink pre amp. I have the h6 and definitely agree audio syncing is a pain! (Thinking about buying plural eyes). But you can avoid that entirely with a preamp to camera. Plus the preamps in the juice link are better then the h6 and h4n as well.

But you are still plugging the juicedLink (or whatever you decide to use) into the audio input of the DSLR or camcorder, and the preamps associated with the camera are very substandard.

But you are still plugging the juicedLink (or whatever you decide to use) into the audio input of the DSLR or camcorder, and the preamps associated with the camera are very substandard.

Not if you turn down the preamps on the camera to one bar above zero. That is only if you can shut off the auto gain control in your specific camera, otherwise you'll get horrible audio.

Here's an example. I'm sure its a little biased, but has some good info on preamps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVeBqhXMvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What you are suggesting requires a mixer, the zoom is a recorder. Some mixers have outputs specifically designed to go into DSLRs and other consumer equipment on mini-jacks, keep an eye out when choosing one.
Might be wrong but an attenuated tape out might be usable. To allow freedom you could utilise a wireless hop.
My canon 550 can spit out monitor audio on the usb port that can be fed back to the mixer for monitoring I think some may now allow audio monitoring via headphone jack.

Ultimately though for drama you will be far better off with dual system. If doing it properly you will not always be using the audio taken alongside the video anyway.

Plugging in audio into your PHOTOcamera that has video capabilities and expecting to have professional quality sound?? You gonna have bad time.

Keep that shit separates if you want top quality audio - you ll have to put in work, INCLUDING synching. (If pluraleyes messes up).

Back