Legal Question

So I'm making this movie that is about this bounty hunter hired to kidnap Justin Bieber and put him on a desert island. I'm not going to sell this movie in any way. It'll probably just be a YouTube video. Could I get in trouble for doing this?
Thanks.

I don't know anything about copyright law, but you should be aware of using someone's name and likeness.

You should also be aware of the law against uttering threats - you CANNOT threaten to kidnap someone, and making a movie about that may open you to a lawsuit. Last, but certainly not least, if someone watches it and uses it as a basis to do that, you may also be sued - mind you, the law would seem to protect you, but I strongly advise you against using a real person. Why take the chance?

George Bush is a public figure, and Will Ferrell did NOT parody the murder of the President. Chances are, you wouldn't be liable, but the costs and emotional strain of a lawsuit aren't worth it. I strongly advise you against this.

The question was if he COULD get in trouble. Will he? Probably not. But is losing his house worth the risk.

SNL has a big legal department. The parody would have to be quite obvious and consistent throughout the film. The OP idea doesn't seem to be one. It has all the markings of capitalizing on Justin Bieber's name to gain fame for himself. Different animal entirely.

Your premise is FUBAR.

Bounty hunters go hunting for bail skippers.
You'd have to fabricate that unlikely scenario for JB.
Placing JB on an island would be considered kidnapping and detention against one's will, both acts illegal and beyond the scope of bounty hunters.

Just make it a crazy person with a grudge against JB and watch the credit and laughs roll in.
I don't think it'll be worth the hassle myself.
Watch some MAD tv shorts to see what they get away with.
They'll likely follow some barely coherent real life news situation.

GL

Or better yet the guy (mercenary instead of bounty hunter) is hired to kidnap the guy but screws up and kidnaps some look-a-like then you have the merc having to deal with getting wrong guy and then the poor kid who just happens to look like justin trapped on an island.

Or better yet the guy (mercenary instead of bounty hunter) is hired to kidnap the guy but screws up and kidnaps some look-a-like then you have the merc having to deal with getting wrong guy and then the poor kid who just happens to look like justin trapped on an island.

Now we're on to something. :)

It'll probably just be a YouTube video.
That says it all. Nobody will care. It's just YouTube. At worst Justin Beiber's people might ask YouTube to take it down. YouTube won't take it down unless the claimant has a legitimate legal basis. Not sure if he does or not, but it really doesn't matter. It's just YouTube.

I’m not a lawyer so do not do anything based on what I say here.

The right to copy (copyright) does not protect a public figures
name. Now you cannot use a public figures name for advertising or
in a way that a reasonable person will think that public figure is
connected with the product.

Yes, you can make a movie about Justin Bieber being kidnapped.

Parody laws are quite broad. There is a level of “reasonable” in the
laws that protect the creative process and freedom of speech. Every
year I write a parody show for a major theme park. We parody many
public figures and ultimately kill some of them. One of the biggest
laughs my show has ever gotten was the Beebs being humiliated and
then shot in the head. No reasonable person could infer that we were
advocating humiliation or killing.

So I'm making this movie that is about this bounty hunter hired to kidnap Justin Bieber and put him on a desert island. I'm not going to sell this movie in any way. It'll probably just be a YouTube video. Could I get in trouble for doing this?
Thanks.
If I make a movie about kidnapping you and taking you to a desert island, can I get in trouble?

And keep in mind that it is ONLY going to be a YouTube video... so I'm pretty sure I'll be safe. Disagree, or agree?

Hmm . . . has anyone ever gotten in trouble because of a YouTube video? You bet. Happens all the time.

Here's the other thing, by asking the question in this forum you've undermined your best defense in the event Beeb makes a ruckus -- ignorance! Better hope his legal team doesn't run across this site!

-----------

When you've posted it, come back and give us the link so we can play armchair lawyers again! :)

Back