Is it worth it?

Is it worth it to apply to Sundance, Cannes, and the other celebrity film festivals or just a waste of money?

What film festivals should a personal, auto-biographical , labor-of-love documentary with a unique style apply to? So far the movie has a lot of great feedback, but no big stars or big names.

Check out the movie trailer and give some advice.

www.tziporasnest.com

That kind of strong and emotional subject matter is much loved by festivals.
This may be the first time ever I have responded to a thread like this with yes, I'd give all the top tier festivals a shot. You can always lower your sights later.

You won't get in

You don't know that. I agree with the previous commenters -- this one actually could have a chance. Truth is, though, none of us can truly make that guess without seeing the full movie, cuz that's what the screeners will be watching.

So, to the OP I say this -- to echo what has been said here, I think a documentary with this type of subject-matter could have good chances (or, at least not as slim odds as the rest of us schmucks). But only you and the other people who've seen it know how great your film may or may not be. If it's a great film, then yes you should definitely submit. Even if it's just a good film, then yeah you should submit. I want to watch this film.

I do agree with GA on one thing -- if you don't submit, you might always wonder "what if".

Good luck! :)

You don't know that.

No, but it's a pretty safe bet. But I wouldn't mind being wrong in this case.

For a "Top 10" fest, one shouldn't ever set their heart on getting in -- that is, set yourself up for disappointment. Submit to two or three, then drop to the next tier. If you've a great film, save your stressing out for festivals you've got a reasonable chance of getting in.

Go for it!

Definitely submit (and I hate these festivals) but damn it make sure your artwork shows that's it's about a woman who lived through the holocaust. It might even help to try and get some exposure about it. If someone sees it, with the subject matter it's almost a definite in. Good Luck.

From what I saw I think its great. I like the idea that you are learning as well as the viewers of this remarkable person. It looks like a tremendous amount of work went into it from the way you have edited it.
I agree with what the others wrote...nothing ventured nothing gained. Don't be a 'I should have..' be a 'I did.'
Good luck.

Back