Casting Ads Question

Hey guys!

So we finally found a location for my film and it feels amazing!
I guess I'm off to casting? I need your guys' opinion. What things should I include when posting an ad for casting/auditions?

Thanks!

I have a problem with stating the obvious in a casting notice.
Everyone - even the full on flakes - believe they will be committed
to showing up each day they are required and on time. When
they don’t, they have excellent reasons why; in their own mind.
I don’t see how putting that in the notice will weed out people
who will not commit. But I can see how it might put off people
who understand that commitment is essential.

Ewan, in my opinion what makes a casting notice attractive is as
simple as the filmmaker knowing exactly when they are going to
shoot. I’m not an actor, but I am often contacted by filmmakers
to be on crew - not much different really than a casting notice. I
am unimpressed when the filmmaker doesn’t have set dates. I
want to know when and how many days. If I am not available
then I will not respond. Also, is make the filmmaker appear to be
set and ready to go rather than a shoot that will happen someday,
when they can work it out with everyone's schedule.

I have a problem with stating the obvious in a casting notice.
Everyone - even the full on flakes - believe they will be committed
to showing up each day they are required and on time. When
they don’t, they have excellent reasons why; in their own mind.
I don’t see how putting that in the notice will weed out people
who will not commit. But I can see how it might put off people
who understand that commitment is essential..

On the other hand, it may interest serious actors who are tired of flaky filmmakers. The warning also makes it easier for you to fire actors or round file actors who are late for their own auditions.

jk said:
Out of curiosity, where do you find the best places to post such casting calls are, both in print and on the internet?

Craigslist. I've never done "in print" casting calls.

There is also a good percentage of actors who don't read shooting schedules and get their shooting days mixed up and will try to ask to have the shooting days and weeks shifted around just for them. I'd say a good 50% of them are that way. They have no clue what goes into getting shooting permits.

So, GuerrillaAngel's reasoning is spot on.

So is having a set date really that necessary when gathering all the people? Could you really commit to that one date/weekend? Doesn't it change a lot though? That's why sometimes I like to give a ball park like for example, we're gonna shoot mid-June (but no specific dates yet and it's to be determined). I do that because I want a schedule that works for everyone. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, I have a character in my film that's going to turn 21. How do I advertise that? Like, I don't want to weed out people who aren't 21. I mean there are a lot of people who can pull of a 21 year old dude. When listing your characters, does the age range apply to the film? Or to real life?

Cause if I just put, Todd- 21 years old- bla bla bla... I don't want people to think that they really need to be 21 to play this role. Do you know what I mean?

BTW, great tips! Keep em coming!

Yeah, you should definitely decide on dates before posting ads. If something major happens, then you can try and re-coordinate everyone's schedules. But as long as you've already secured your location(s), why should the dates change? Besides a cast or crew member not being able to make it. But then, if you put the set dates in the ad, you will know you that you'll only hear from folks who are available.

For the age thing, you put the age (or age range) of the character. Actors will know that they don't actually need to be that age. In fact, most actors will put a playable age range on their resume, if they even put their age at all.

Ok, I rambled a bit there, but you get the point I hope :)

I first decide when I can do the shoot, then i give that date to my most important crew member - an audio guy (I also shoot, so for me no need for a camera guy).
From there its a split road. If its a paid gig - he will have to adjust to my time. If its free - i adjust my date for him. After that - i got the date locked, and ready to post!

Between my cast and crew, I have 16 people in my pickup shoot. Do you really think you can shoot something if 16 people want 16 different schedules?

There can only be one schedule. In my case, I have to also commit my schedule to an insurance company, the local Mayor's Office, the city parks department, and local police. The schedule is locked down.

A friend of mine in SAG kept showing up very late and drunk to work in a Broadway play. The theater company fired her.

Megan Fox tried making up her own schedule and making her own hours and spent too much time on her cell phone during rehearsals of the last Transforms movie.

Steven Spielberg fired her.

So, why should small productions put up with actors not serious about work? And, the same thing goes for crew people too. They have to commit.

Last edited:
I posted a very minimalist one last Friday (on Craigslist), basically stating it was a TV/Web Series pilot, that I needed extras that were unpaid and a few speaking roles at $100/Day. I pulled the ad last night after getting 107 resumes and headshots.

I posted a very minimalist one last Friday (on Craigslist), basically stating it was a TV/Web Series pilot, that I needed extras that were unpaid and a few speaking roles at $100/Day. I pulled the ad last night after getting 107 resumes and headshots.

Wow, I'd love a response like that; wish we had something even close to Craiglist in the UK!

I'd have to agree that you should lock down your dates first, preparation and organisation are everything. You need to be in control because once one little thing goes wrong everything can spiral.

Also, if there's any nudity, definitely mention that. "Nudity Required". Don't ever drop that on someone the day of, or during call backs. "Oh BTW, you're okay appearing topless right?"

I put the question on the audition form usually unless that's the only role I'm looking for..

What's an audition form?

nycastings and backstage actually ask with each character breakdown if nudity is required. With Mandy (I'm pretty sure) you manually give breakdowns. Since I know many actresses won't appear topless I make sure it's there. It's useless to audition someone that wouldn't be able to do the role for that reason.

What's an audition form?

nycastings and backstage actually ask with each character breakdown if nudity is required. With Mandy (I'm pretty sure) you manually give breakdowns. Since I know many actresses won't appear topless I make sure it's there. It's useless to audition someone that wouldn't be able to do the role for that reason.

It's the form they fill out at my audition where they give all their contact info, confirm their availability on the shooting dates, sign a release for the footage I shoot of their audition, etc...

Like I said, if the only role I was considering them for require nudity then yeah I'd ask that question before I brought them in, but if they were a potential candidate for multiple roles they can check the box on the form.

Back