• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenwriting question

say a scene, which starts with 4 main characters are sat around a table in a restaurant, or the 4 main characters exit a Car...Do you have to write it
'dave, john, Michael and ben are sat at a table in the restaurant'

'dave, john, Michael and ben exit the car'

'the 4 friends exit the car'

???

I'm not a writer, but as far as I'm aware there is no technical rule about this kind of thing, it's more just a common sense thing.

If you've already established the four friends that are in the scene (and we already know they're friends) then "the four friends" would be fine - if not preferable for the sake of brevity. You could also use "the group" or "they" as long as it's clear who you're talking about.

I'm not a writer, but as far as I'm aware there is no technical rule about this kind of thing, it's more just a common sense thing.

If you've already established the four friends that are in the scene (and we already know they're friends) then "the four friends" would be fine - if not preferable for the sake of brevity. You could also use "the group" or "they" as long as it's clear who you're talking about.

THANKS FOR THAT, MAKES SENSE...WILL MAKE THE CHANGES REQUIRED;)

What you don't want to do is say "they" a thousand times over the next 90 pages. Your reader's head will explode. Or worse, they'll quit reading.

Just keep it fresh: all four, the guys, our four, Steve and the crew, Rick walked off with a smirk. Hodgi laughed and caught up leaving Tom and Steve to argue over who leaves the tip.

That kind of thing.

I've found a helpful way to think about this is, to consider that your screenplay is an instruction manual (as well as a story, of course) that different departments in production will use to determine what their specific needs are.

For example, if there are four actors exiting a car, the A.D.'s will need to know who they are so they can be put on the call sheet. If it's not absolutely clear and obvious, then you should clarify it and make it so.

Yes, you're trying to keep your screenplay flowing well, but you should assume that not all of the people reading it, will do so very carefully. And just because you know the story and scenes very well, and it seems obvious to you that there are four characters (and which ones) exiting a car and going into a diner, you can't assume it's obvious to everyone.

Best of luck with your script!

Every time you change the scene, then the first time you mention the characters you must do so individually and IN CAPS. In the example you gave, these are obviously two different scenes, so in the first you'd have:

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY
DAVE, JOHN, MICHAEL and BEN are sat at a table in the restaurant.

EXT. STREET - DAY
DAVE, JOHN, MICHAEL and BEN exit their car.

Subsequent mentions in each scene you might get away with 'four friends' if the four are together for the whole scene and there are no other characters.

As Scripts & Scribes said, the screenplay needs to make it obvious to everyone - not just who is in which scene, but where in the scene. If there is any possibility of ambiguity, then be specific who you're describing.

BTW, the thing with using caps for the first mention in each scene is an old convention, but more important than ever in these days of software. Some scripts reporting tools will use this to recognise when someone appears in the scene, even if they have no dialogue.

Every time you change the scene, then the first time you mention the characters you must do so individually and IN CAPS. In the example you gave, these are obviously two different scenes, so in the first you'd have:

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY
DAVE, JOHN, MICHAEL and BEN are sat at a table in the restaurant.

EXT. STREET - DAY
DAVE, JOHN, MICHAEL and BEN exit their car.

Subsequent mentions in each scene you might get away with 'four friends' if the four are together for the whole scene and there are no other characters.

As Scripts & Scribes said, the screenplay needs to make it obvious to everyone - not just who is in which scene, but where in the scene. If there is any possibility of ambiguity, then be specific who you're describing.

BTW, the thing with using caps for the first mention in each scene is an old convention, but more important than ever in these days of software. Some scripts reporting tools will use this to recognise when someone appears in the scene, even if they have no dialogue.

I was under the impression you only need to CAP the characters' names once - when they're FIRST mentioned. Is it now expected to Capitalise them in each scene they appear in?!

I was under the impression you only need to CAP the characters' names once - when they're FIRST mentioned. Is it now expected to Capitalise them in each scene they appear in?!
You are correct.

Also, some of the examples above are written in passive voice.

Novice screenwriters often write in passive voice and past tense.

The pros write in active voice and present tense - the difference and how to write in active voice and present tense is explained here:

Stay in Present Tense and Active Voice

Back