Directing Animals - Tips, Theories, Help

Hey I am working on a short film that involves a dog for an actor.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or heard of methods of working with dogs and shooting styles to capture the desired action on screen. I am open to all idea's to help me with this.

Thanks
-GPS

You don't direct them. If you do not have a trained for the screen
dog and a handler on set your only real option is to roll media and
coax the dog to do what you want - and keep the camera rolling
until the dog happens to do what you want.

It takes a lot of training to get a dog to do anything, let alone "act". Depending on the breed and what you want them to do, you may be able to train them quite quickly and easily.

Chances are though, that won't be the case. Then you almost have to just film and hope for the best. Directorik used the term "coax". I prefer a different term - "bribe". Liver works a treat!

"The ABC's of Death" has a nice short in it, called "D is for Dogfight". It's the best segment of the film and the DVD includes a making of featurette (which, come to think of it, is probably longer than the short itself!). Check it out. It shows just what great results are possible when working with an experienced handler and hound.

They say never work with children or animals. When you've finished shooting, let us know if the saying is correct.

I wrapped on a film not all that long ago where we working with both children and animals.

Certainly wasn't easy ;)

It also complicates things, and makes things even more difficult when you bring in multiples. One child and/or one animal is relatively easy to deal with, but bring in two or more children and/or two or more animals and it starts to get out of hand pretty quickly, sometimes despite the fact that you may have animal wranglers etc. (though they certainly help).

In Alien,to get kitten's reaction they shielded German Sheppard from kitten's view, rolled the camera and than suddenly exposed the dog to the cat.

But,yeah,unless the dog is trained it will be a pain

I have 2 dogs and I can tell you, breed makes a MASSIVE difference. German Shepherds are fantastic at taking directions - mine is barely trained beyond the usual "sit", "stay" and "down" (lay down) and a few others, but she is so fantastically intelligent that she understands context and picks up on things without me even trying.

On the other hand, my Labrador is a real dummy. He doesn't get anything despite the extra training and he usually does whatever he feels like at the time.

Choose the breed you want to work with wisely.

I have 2 dogs and I can tell you, breed makes a MASSIVE difference. German Shepherds are fantastic at taking directions - mine is barely trained beyond the usual "sit", "stay" and "down" (lay down) and a few others, but she is so fantastically intelligent that she understands context and picks up on things without me even trying.

On the other hand, my Labrador is a real dummy. He doesn't get anything despite the extra training and he usually does whatever he feels like at the time.

Choose the breed you want to work with wisely.

My dog is a pit bull, and his breed is declared inherently dangerous in MD by law :no: in colorado they were taking family dogs and killing them bc they were pit bulls, it's a crazy world.

/october is national pitbull awareness month
//rant over

Make sure that the dog understands what its motivation is.

:lol::lol::lol:

Like a regular actor, make sure you have plenty of doggy treats to give them after they do a splendid take. Be sure to pat them on the head and say "Good boy!! Whose a good boy!?"

It's hard to teach an old actor new tricks, so if you need them to roll over and they never learned it in their youth, tough luck.

Dogs, like actors, have a shorter life span than humans, so make sure you get the shots you need as soon as possible and get outta there, so as to not waste too much of their time.

Like actors, you will need to clean up after a dog when they make a no-no inside. Rub their nose in it sternly, and say "BAD! THIS GOES OUTSIDE!" And deny them compensation for the work day.

I hope this has been helpful

Dogs, like actors, have a shorter life span than humans, so make sure you get the shots you need as soon as possible and get outta there, so as to not waste too much of their time.

I feel sorry for any film maker that promises to pay the animal stars pro rata. Doggy minutes soon rack up!

Top tip - give them a wage per line. Preferably a treat upon completion of a sucessful take.

Be prepared to move expensive kit very quickly. Animals do not always feel the need to stop in front of a tripod and camera. In fact, the more expensive and fragile the item, the more likely it is they will keep going.

And watch out for slippery surfaces because even if the animal wants to stop, sometimes they misjudge and, well, kiss that expensive glass goodbye.

Hey I am working on a short film that involves a dog for an actor.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or heard of methods of working with dogs and shooting styles to capture the desired action on screen. I am open to all idea's to help me with this.

Thanks
-GPS

When I see dogs in movies the scenes and clips seem very short. Each time the dog does something different the angle changes or it zooms in on the action, so they might get the dog to do one action at a time and then sequence it together.

Back