2012 MidKnightly Halloween Competition

As a way to inspire folks who are not currently producing any projects to do so. I'm announcing a horror film competition for Halloween 2012.

< 10 Minutes run time
Youtube video embeded here (or linked)
Due by October 30th Midnight of your local time zone :)

I'll watch them and comment on them and judge them based on 4 categories (if others want to help judge, drop me a PM):

Technical competence - Picture (up to 5 points)
Technical competence - Audio (up to 5 points)
Artistic competence - Creepiness (up to 5 points)
Artistic competence - Story (up to 10 points)

Highest combined points wins bragging rights, respect and woohoos.

Let the smack talk begin!

(this is just me, not a directly Indietalk sanctioned competition - it would be much more cohesive if it were)...

and... ACTION!

p.s. Guest Judges?

p.p.s. Last years competition:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35405
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35578

Last edited:
HOT D@MN!
1321814803976.gif

Man, I don't recall the one from last year. I must have been still encased in carbonite. :abduct:

Lookin' good! Halloween flix.
smiley_ghost.gif

I always want to do one of these. I did Secret Santa 2010 but have been too busy since.

:(

Goodluck to all, though. Last year had some great work. I remember Flicker, Dready and Ray were at the top of their game.

I'll have to drop Flicker a line; he hasn't been around much lately. Had a blast last year. And the final count for the the film was 7 festivals. Not a bad run!

Mr. Ernest Worthing has hopped on as a guest judge this year :) I'm excited to see what this year brings with more time to prepare :)

Artistic competence - Creepiness (up to 5 points): CREEPY - Nail It If You Can

a·larm·ing - causing alarm or fear
ap·pall·ing - causing dismay or horror
a·tro·cious - extremely or shockingly wicked, cruel, or brutal, shockingly bad or tasteless; dreadful; abominable
aw·ful - extremely bad; unpleasant; ugly, inspiring fear; dreadful; terrible

creep·y - having or causing a creeping sensation of the skin, as from horror or fear
dire - causing or involving great fear or suffering; dreadful; terrible, indicating trouble, disaster, misfortune, or the like
dis·gust·ing - causing disgust; offensive to the physical, moral, or aesthetic taste
dis·turb·ing - upsetting or disquieting; dismaying
dread·ful - causing great dread, fear, or terror; terrible
ee·rie - uncanny, so as to inspire superstitious fear; weird

fear - a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
fright·en - to make afraid or fearful; throw into a fright; terrify; scare.
grue·some - causing great horror; horribly repugnant; grisly, full of or causing problems; distressing
hor·ri·ble - causing or tending to cause horror; shockingly dreadful, extremely unpleasant; deplorable; disgusting

hor·ror - an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear
ma·ca·bre - gruesome and horrifying; ghastly; horrible, of, pertaining to, dealing with, or representing death, especially its grimmer or uglier aspect
men·ace - something that threatens to cause evil, harm, injury, etc.; a threat
om·i·nous - portending evil or harm; foreboding; threatening; inauspicious
sin·is·ter - threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous, bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell, unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable
spook·y - like or befitting a spook or ghost; suggestive of spooks, eerie; scary
ter·ri·ble - distressing; severe, extremely bad; horrible, exciting terror, awe, or great fear; dreadful; awful
ter·ri·fy - to fill with terror or alarm; make greatly afraid
threat·en·ing - tending or intended to menace
un·pleas·ant - not pleasant; displeasing; disagreeable; offensive
weird - involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny, fantastic; bizarre
wick·ed - evil or morally bad in principle or practice; sinful; iniquitous: wicked people; wicked habits, mischievous or playfully malicious

Conceiving of it as we speak.
Muah-ha-ha!!

You game again this year?!
Of course! Looking forward to hearing your ideas, as always.

My new house is full of spiders, so I'm in the perfect state of hyperactive paranoia required to write distressing music.

also, note that filmriot is haveing a big Halloween contest, so submit your video there too, and maybe win $2K worth of softwares and gear

Looks like we'll be shooting early next week. Finally getting the chance to do some work with a friend who does awesome SFX make-up work. Got the rough storyboard done.

In business! :cool:

Back