how do you get a cast/crew?

most of us here dont have the resources for big spending. in my case specifically (im 18) its a giant pain getting people/actors to work for free. i wanna know how you guys get your grips/PAs/editors etc.? pay? friends? is there a guild or website in which people list themselves for pay or something?any info is great help, thanks

in my case specifically (im 18) its a giant pain getting people/actors to work for free.

Your age is no excuse.

It's always problematic getting people to work for free.

In any event, nothing is ever really "free". You either get what you pay for, or are essentially trading for favours in the future. Both situations are quite common.

I'm your age and its actually easier this way. You could post ads, word of mouth, and even facebook to invite actors from your high school or college.

I'm sure the theater departments are willing to act for free, and you could get theater crew as a film crew. And anyone can be a PA.

Start investing in people now. Help out, be a friend, be a part of their lives etc... I volunteered in a ministry working with video for kids every summer and most weeks as a teenager. Now whenever I need help on set there's plenty of willing hands. Even unpaid, I pay everyone when I can and people remember that. For NOBLE I asked the entire crew to help out. Had over 35 people ranging from experienced camera and audio crews to extras and everything in between for an 18 hour day followed by a 19 hour.

You reap what you sow, get what you give etc...

most of us here dont have the resources for big spending. in my case specifically (im 18) its a giant pain getting people/actors to work for free. i wanna know how you guys get your grips/PAs/editors etc.? pay? friends? is there a guild or website in which people list themselves for pay or something?any info is great help, thanks

SIGN UP to www.starnow.co.uk and post a casting call for actors etc list what you are looking for state that there is no pay etc. I have had some very good actors and actresses off there for FREE who are always willing to work. All they ask is that they get a copy of the final film and that there name be listed in the credits. I have found that people work for free to update their showreel and gain experience etc when going for higher paid jobs etc give it a try let me know how you get on

ant

I'm still new to this as well, but I've made a few things, and all of which are done with help of friends, or friend's of friends.

Have to remember a few key things when working with friends.

1. Remember they are doing this as a favour, so don't be too demanding, make sure they are also enjoying doing this.

2. I always bring along food or just snacks to keep everyone happy and full :lol: Chocolates never hurts :P

How many projects have you worked on for others? This is best place to learn who you want working on your project.

"Cool Story Bro" Time ;)

I remember in another lifetime for a drama class (work with me here), there was a guy who wanted to do a short "Honeymooners" sequence for part of Parents night presentation. He auditioned, plotted, casted and was great. But then he (the director) started switching around rehearsal dates, and moving everything, and he eventually ended up NOT doing it because he kept changing dates, times, expectations. The teacher told him this, actors need proper schedule and not constant changing.

So yes, it about the expectations if people are doing it for free, keep the expectations easy-they ARE doing it as a favor :)

NowCasting.com
CraigsList for crew then one crew person usually knows a bunch of others. I don't know any crew who will work for free. It's an unrewarding job to work behind the scenes for 8 to 15 hours a day. Pay them too little and some WILL defect as higher paying gigs become available leading up to your shoot.

Finding Cast/Crew

If you're just starting out, it can be tough but absolutely doable. Listen to the folks and their ideas on this forum. Here are a few more ideas, don't forget we've all been there:
- Take a film class, no matter how small, and get to know the instructor. You'll meet many of like minds.
- Go to your closest film school/college and post on their bulletin boards.
- Offer to feed them on set (mandatory, IMHO), give them film credit and a DVD.
- Contact your state's Film Commission for advice and listing on their website bulletin board.
- Excite them with your script. For my short, we had many jump aboard simply because they liked the story.
- Persist, filmmaking is not for those who give up easy.

And once you get your cast/crew, never, but never treat them like they're working for "free." Ignore this at your peril. They'll put time, energy, money, gasoline, and their hearts into your project. Respect them for that, and they'll work for you again....

Best of Luck!

Back