help in music

Hey guys

I have recently made my first short, it's just a 3 minute short where the main aim was for me to get use to the nitty gritty of it all, the best way to learn is just go and do it right :)

now after months of planing, shooting, editing, I have a 3minute piece which i'm happy with. The only problem I have right now is I would like some music but I myself have zero talent in this field.

As this is a no budget project, I don't think I want to spend much money on it.

What would you guys do? suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

**Been roaming around this forum for awhile, and this has been a great place for upcoming filmmakers**
:lol:

You can find public domain music, or a friend who is a musician. Also, if there is any classical piece you like, you can find someone playing it on youtube and send that person a message asking if you can use their recording in your short film.

Or just hang around this thread, I'm sure the musicians will be flooding in any moment now to offer their services :)

thanks for the fast replies guys.

i can't use craigslist because I'm not in america.

Dreadylocks, you mentioned classical music.. What is the copyright issues for that? I could just use it in my shortfilms?

and for the musicians you guys mentioned that would do it for free...what is in it for them? :huh:

thank you :)

thanks for the fast replies guys.

i can't use craigslist because I'm not in america.

Dreadylocks, you mentioned classical music.. What is the copyright issues for that? I could just use it in my shortfilms?

and for the musicians you guys mentioned that would do it for free...what is in it for them? :huh:

thank you :)

Most Composers willing to work for free are looking to strengthen their reel, aswell as gaining the experience, and broadening their network.

If it is you would rather seek "Public Domain" material, then it's a case of exactly that. There are many websites that are in place for this exact purpose. Try Google.

Classical music is all in the public domain as it's been well over 80 years since the individuals who wrote the music died.

However, the recordings you'd find on a CD of classical music are copyrighted, so you'll need to find an individual who has made a recording non-professionally and ask them permission to use it in your film (give them credit in the film). That's why I suggested youtube, you'll find a lot of people with decent quality recordings of public domain songs (not just classical music, but a lot of old jazz tunes and such are public domain). Just do a search for 'song/composer name' + piano/guitar/whatever.

All you have to do is Google "Royalty Free Music" and you will have thousands of companies to choose from.

There are several dozen stock/standard - as in everybody uses them - libraries, and the rest are hit and miss with quality; some stuff is great, some is okay, some really sucks. Many of the sites allow you to audition on the site and purchase by the song or collection.

As with most things the more money you spend the more quality you will get.

For classical music I've had some luck with Unique Tracks (bang for the buck), and I've also had luck with finding individuals on MySpace and other similar sites. There's even lots of public domain material on the Prelinger Archives. It's all out there; all you have to do is look.

you can find some amazing music for free, tons of upcoming bands and composers around.

myspace, youtube, stockmusic.net is good i heard. hell i managed to get music from an emmy nominated composer for my last shorts. seek and ye shall find!

Back