Business company

Hi folks ,

Let's say I want to start a business company about something that is worldwide famous but not in my country.

It has been done in other countries,but never in mine.What if I start this one thing and grow it big. Make a lot of money.

My question is , how can I be sure that once I get into those Bulgarian business competitions I am not going to get my idea stolen? It's not entirely original but it's very new for my place.

Now can I patent this product since it has been done before ,just not here?

Sounds like a silly question but I am just thinking around since I want to start something new ,business related and present to upcoming competitions.

Thanks.

Are you talking about some sort of technology? You can't generally patent business ideas, only technologies and processes (to some extent). I don't know enough about international patent law to give much advice on how it might apply to your situation/country.

It sounds though like you're worrying about someone stealing an idea that you're stealing as well - what makes you think someone else couldn't just as easily see the idea in place elsewhere and copy it like you are?

Hi folks ,

Let's say I want to start a business company about something that is worldwide famous but not in my country.

It has been done in other countries,but never in mine.What if I start this one thing and grow it big. Make a lot of money.

My question is , how can I be sure that once I get into those Bulgarian business competitions I am not going to get my idea stolen? It's not entirely original but it's very new for my place.

Now can I patent this product since it has been done before ,just not here?

Sounds like a silly question but I am just thinking around since I want to start something new ,business related and present to upcoming competitions.

Thanks.

The law on patents differ from country to country, and I'm not sure what you're trying to patent. Are you trying to patent a business model? If so, you must speak to a local lawyer.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to patent a business, like selling fast-food hamburgers, then you're out of luck, because, as far as I know a business cannot be patented.

Furthermore, as for getting your idea stolen, don't worry about it. In the first place, everyone has lots of ideas, and but many will not work, or, even if they do work, they would not work for other people. In the second, if the business is famous worldwide but not in your country, then others in your country would probably have heard of it and thought the same thing - and it's not your idea to steal in the first place.

Last, but perhaps not least, for a business owner to make his idea work, he should get some experience in the industry, especially if he's young and just starting out. I don't know anything about you, but you should speak to a senior in the business before you go ahead - and don't worry about him stealing your idea, because he probably knows more about that world-famous business than you, since he is in the business.

Good luck. :)

Not really something I've ever had to deal with, but the first thing that springs to my mind is why has this service/product/whatever, which is already a huge brand, not expanded into Bulgaria? Or why have the owners of this chosen not to try and break that market? It's possible that there is no market there....

It's possible that there is no market there....

Scale can have a big impact on things like this though. A big international company might look at the market in a country like Bulgaria and determine that at best it'll only ever add 0.01% to their bottom line - and thus isn't worth the effort compared to alternatives.

But that 0.01% of their business could still be millions of dollars - which would amount to a significant business for a small local company. Even if it's just thousands of dollars it could be worth it for a small local businessperson.

Scale can have a big impact on things like this though. A big international company might look at the market in a country like Bulgaria and determine that at best it'll only ever add 0.01% to their bottom line - and thus isn't worth the effort compared to alternatives.

But that 0.01% of their business could still be millions of dollars - which would amount to a significant business for a small local company. Even if it's just thousands of dollars it could be worth it for a small local businessperson.

IDOM, you're totally right. And, if he makes it in Bulgaria, then he may expand to the rest of the European Union, the largest integrated market on Earth. Well said. :)

Thanks!

And, if he makes it in Bulgaria, then he may expand to the rest of the European Union, the largest integrated market on Earth.

That's actually where the question of patents becomes more relevant in my opinion - if the business is based at it's core on a patented technology it could severely limit his ability to do business beyond the confines of Bulgaria. That might or might not be a real concern for him though, depending on his ambitions for the business.

Alright,thanks everybody for contributing in the thread.

It seems like that I came up with this idea couple of weeks back and now I have a nonstop paranoia that someone will come up with the absolute same idea and make millions of dollars instead of me! Probably I won't make money and I'll crash,burn and die but I'll give it a go because I am really passionate about the subject!

I've read what you said and since this is not a technology and not a physical object I think patent the idea at this point is absolute nonsense.

Talk to an accountant or lawyer about this. Quite honestly, I don't think you have to worry about anyone stealing your idea - everyone is forever afraid of it, but it's really a non-issue.

Back