Early experiences with cinema!

Hey! The other day a thought hit me, and that thought was “why can I recall such early cinematic experiences in my life?” I can still remember many of the films I saw as a child, even though I was not into cinema at the time. So I feel like starting this thread so that we can share our early cinematic experiences.

The first cinematic experience I had in the movie theaters was watching this film called Cats & Dogs, I saw it when I was five years old with my father. For some reason that experience is very vivid to me, I can’t recall the plot but I remember the feeling I had while watching it. I was very happy but I was overwhelmed by how the screen seemed to take everything over. It felt like for a moment life paused and this film became the new active experience that I was a part of. Although I’m glad I remember the experience, I don’t want to watch this film again.

When I was young I saw a lot of animated films on television. I saw films like The Iron Giant, Balto, An American Tale, The Brave Little Toaster, The Land Before Time, and many others. I’m surprised I didn’t see as many Disney films as I would have thought, the one real awesome Disney experience I had was when I had a hernia and I was in the hospital when I was six years old. My grandmother was there comforting me and Pinocchio was on the TV screen. I didn’t watch the whole movie because I had to get surgery and the doctors put me to sleep, but the overall experience of being with a loved one and seeing such a wonderful film during that time stayed with me.

The first time I became aware of cinematic talent was with Pixar. I always begged my parents to take me to see their films. Toy Story 2 was the first one I saw when I was four years old, it was also the first VHS I bought, I saw it many many times. Then in school I got to see the first film in the series. From then on I saw all of their films in theaters without fail until I moved to the Dominican Republic at age 13.

When I was 5, my school actually had a Film class which was really cool. Obviously we didn't get deep into analysis, we just tried to understand what the movie was about. For most of us (including myself) it was the best class just because we got to watch movies. I only remember that I saw The Land Before Time in this class but I know we saw more. Ironically, my favorite class in Kindergarten actually became my favorite subject in life, for much different reasons though!

One important film for me was E.T. The Extra-terrestrial. In 2002 (when I was six) I had seen lots of trailers for the re-release of this film (due to its 20th Anniversary). I actually taped a trailer that they gave on TV and I watched it over and over again dreaming about what the film would be like. I also saw part of it when I visited the Universal Studios theme park when I was 8. But I never did get to see the film until I was 14 and it didn’t leave much of an effect for me, it didn’t click with me at the time. It still has a place in my heart though for being my obsession throughout my childhood, and I look forward to seeing it again soon!

My father is a huge action fan so I always saw action films since I was a kid. I loved the Rush Hour series and Sylvester Stallone movies. Once I grew up a bit (about 11 years old) I saw Police Story 2 and my mind was blown with the fight choreography. For the most part though, I saw films like The Fast And The Furious series just to spend time with my dad but I hated the action genre because it was too violent for me. Starting last year though I began bonding with my father more as I am now exploring the action genre with him and there are some great works within that genre (my favorites are by John Woo or anything made in Hong Kong from the 60’s – 80’s).

I guess I’ll leave my experiences there as I have written quite a bit! The reason I’m so surprised about these early meaningful experiences with cinema is because cinema did not become important to me at all until I was 12 years old, and it never became extremely important until just last year when I was 16!
Please share your experiences, I am really interested in how cinema affects all of us even at a young age. It is very interesting for me to see how cinema and its language already communicated to me so much when I was young, I’d like to see how cinema has affected others at a young age! :)

Little kids watch movies over and over and over again.
It makes sense to me that you would remember those more than an experience that you only had one time..

My earliest memories are of actual life stuff happening.. like one time my dad tried to drive to a puddle but it turned out to be an enormous hole and half the car got submerged.. we had to try to jump out and I was the smallest.. the only one that didn't make the jump and got soaked!!

but i know i watched things like willow a ton of times
also something about some kids that find a seal and adopt it.. and take it to the grocery store in a baby carriage and then it gets loose and hilarity ensues

The earliest films I can actually remember watching (and I mean really remember; I know I’ve seen “E.T.” about a million times, but I just don’t remember them…) were “A Land Before Time” and “Pinocchio”, both of which I know I watched over, and over, and over…

But I had older brothers… I was only about 5 when I first saw “Predator”. The skinned bodies hanging from the trees stuck with me so much, that when I watched it on TV a few years later, I noticed that that scene was cut entirely! It was around this time that I also saw “A Nightmare On Elm Street”. For quite some time I remember thinking that Freddy’s claws sprung from his hand, kind of like Wolverines claws! It was my sister that told me I’d missed something…

Not sure what my first trip to the cinema was to see. I remember watching “Beauty And The Beast”. The first BIG EVENT for me must have been “Jurassic Park”. I was a boy; every boy loved dinosaurs. At 8 years old, this was massive for me! I can also tell you exactly when it was released for rental – October 4th. I know that because it was the day after my birthday. But, being friends with the owner of our local video shop, my mum was able to get a hold of it a day early, so me and my friends could watch it. That was my birthday party!

Little kids watch movies over and over and over again.
It makes sense to me that you would remember those more than an experience that you only had one time..

That is true, but for me it wasn't the case because I didn't watch many movies often. I read a lot, played a lot of video games, and watched cartoons on TV but it wasn't until I was 12 that I fell in love with cinema.

My earliest memories are of actual life stuff happening.. like one time my dad tried to drive to a puddle but it turned out to be an enormous hole and half the car got submerged.. we had to try to jump out and I was the smallest.. the only one that didn't make the jump and got soaked!!

What an experience! LOL I wish I had a cool memory like that!
My earliest memory is from real life as well. I remember vividly eating a breakfast at IHOP with my father the day my brother was born (I was two years old). I can't remember anything earlier than that though.

The earliest films I can actually remember watching (and I mean really remember; I know I’ve seen “E.T.” about a million times, but I just don’t remember them…) were “A Land Before Time” and “Pinocchio”, both of which I know I watched over, and over, and over…

But I had older brothers… I was only about 5 when I first saw “Predator”. The skinned bodies hanging from the trees stuck with me so much, that when I watched it on TV a few years later, I noticed that that scene was cut entirely! It was around this time that I also saw “A Nightmare On Elm Street”. For quite some time I remember thinking that Freddy’s claws sprung from his hand, kind of like Wolverines claws! It was my sister that told me I’d missed something…

Ah yes, two of my earliest childhood favorites! :)
Haha wasn't it terrifying for you? My older cousins would always watch horror films and they scared me (but they scared my brother more). I was always scared to see films like Child's Play, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, and Friday The 13th when I was young!

Not sure what my first trip to the cinema was to see. I remember watching “Beauty And The Beast”. The first BIG EVENT for me must have been “Jurassic Park”. I was a boy; every boy loved dinosaurs. At 8 years old, this was massive for me! I can also tell you exactly when it was released for rental – October 4th. I know that because it was the day after my birthday. But, being friends with the owner of our local video shop, my mum was able to get a hold of it a day early, so me and my friends could watch it. That was my birthday party!

Haha yes I was a huge dinosaur fan too! I didn't see Jurassic Park until later in my childhood but I had tons of dinosaur books and toys.
That must have been a great birthday!
Thanks for sharing these experiences! :)

Back