favorite New 10 favorite movies

I love you Bruff... but Killer Klowns was the WORST movie I've ever seen. I hate you for mentioning it. But since I loved you before I hated you, it's all good.

Evil Dead 2 is the BEST movie ever. Makes Speilburg, Kubrick and Lucas look like children!
(lol- just kidding, but I love the style, the grit, the cheese... it's my kinda stuff!)

Some semblance of order, even! Well, not really.

Garden State
Sideways
Thirteen
Closer
Braveheart
Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions)
The Girl Next Door
Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
The Corporation
Se7en

My TOP TEN... In order...

1) EYES WIDE SHUT
2) A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
3) THE SHINING (KUBRICK)
4) 2001 "A SPACE ODYSSEY"
5) APOCALYPSE NOW
6) PLATOON
7) PLANET OF THE APES (Original 1968)
8) ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
9) OMEGA MAN (Charlton Heston)
10) NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (Original "Romero")

-HAWKEYE

not in order

Mulholland Drive
Eyes Wide Shut
Lost Highway
Kubricks Lolita
Once Upon A Time in America
La Dolce Vita
Eraserhead
Taxi Driver
2001 A Space Odyssey

could only think of 9 so for right now ill say "Fitzcarraldo" for the last one.

Its too hard to rate movies, they all are the best in different ways. But if you asked me not to be a pussy and just list them, this would be it.

1) Boogie Nights
2) Kill Bill 1 and 2
3) Requeim for a Dream
4) Dreams (Yume)
5) Pulp Fiction
6) City of God
7) Cold Mountain
8) Gone with the Wind
9) Reservoir Dogs
10) The Weekend (If anyone here likes it, or hell if anyone here has even seen it, I'll give you a cookie.)

Lawrence of Arabia
Pulp Fiction
Empire of the Sun
Moulin Rouge!
His Girl Friday
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Star Wars IV-VI
Indiana Jones - Trilogy
Lord of the Rings - Trilogy
The Professional - Léon

.... 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Garden State
War & Peace (1956)
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Starship Troopers ...

... ahhh, is that 10 already?

Anyone ever see the movie Gerry?

Last edited:
Who can come up with just 10? I Can't remember what I said last time. This comes to mind in no certain order.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (FINALLY on DVD!)
Metropolis
Die Hard
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Star Wars
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Moulin Rouge
Hedwig & the Angry Inch
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Young Guns 2
Tombstone

Anyone ever see the movie Gerry

Yeah, by accident.

Although the landscape cinematography was beautiful, the film was hell to sit through. Even the behind the scenes doc was tedious.

I imagine you enjoyed it since you have mentioned it in this thread, I would be curious to know why.

Nique Zoolio said:
My Number 1-10 is Dragnet!

'tis a cryin' shame...

mrde50 said:
I think we should start listing our top 10 "guilty pleasures" movies. You know, those movies we can't get enough of, but are embarassed to tell anyone else that we like them.

Sudden Death with Jean Claude Van Dang. A Canadian exprofessional hockey player turned fire-fighter finds himself the only man at the stanley cup (tied series, 6-6) who is aware that the Vice President is being held hostage and the building is wired to blow, if money is not delivered by the time the game is over. It goes into sudden death (overtime, where first score wins) and the heat is on. Definetly not a bad movie for a Van Dang flick. :)

superb idea mrde50!speaking of the Van Man - how about we consider for guilty pleasures the Tsui Hark flick Knock-Off.
A Hong Kong fashion designer (Jean Claude Van Damme, if you can believe that billing) who had previously been involved in knock offs of major label merchandise, such as "Pumma" running shoes, attempts to go straight with the help of his new partner (Rob Schneider), who is secretly an undercover CIA agent involved in an investigation of the black market. Their new products, jeans shipped in by the boatful, are of course all the rage in mid 90s consumer Hong Kong. However, little does our Claude know that deep inside each of his counterfeit jeans is a bomb. And it will go off the second that the zips go below the appropriate level. BOOM. Jean has to run around Hong Kong putting his hand in places no hands should go. Amazing.

ok, ok - the zip part is made up. but the rest of it is 100% for real.
van damme must have had such a great life back then. can you imagine your agents getting these and saying 'yeah, jean, this is the one!'
what a life.

In no particular order:

1.) Garden State
2.) Fight Club
3.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4.) Gattica
5.) Donnie Darko
6.) Dreamcatcher
7.) SLC Punk!
8.) Full Metal Jacket
9.) Monty Python _____ (I'm going to cheat, because I love every single movie)
10.) Romeo and Juliet (the one with DeCaprio)

I imagine you enjoyed it since you have mentioned it in this thread, I would be curious to know why.

The movie Gerry

I mentioned it to see if anyone else had an opinion on this movie because I watched it TWICE (unbelievable but true) and I still don’t know if I like it … is this movie truly brilliant or just about the worst movie ever made?

I’ve given a few people the “Gerry Challenge” – I let them borrow the DVD with specific instructions that when they watch it they have to watch the entire movie completely through without stopping, pausing, or any outside distractions. Preferably you watch the movie by yourself but if you do watch it with someone, don’t talk during the movie. I’ve found that most people find this movie to be like an unpleasant but rewarding task … you hate going through it but once it’s over you have a feeling of accomplishment.

**Here Be Spoilers** (if that is possible with this movie)

PROS:
-The cinematography in this movie was great but take away shots of the desert scenery and the movie would have only been about 3 minutes long instead of 103.

- Because the movie was so long with absolutely nothing happening I think the movie did a great job of giving you the feeling of boredom and hopelessness of being lost in the desert. Although the movie could have been edited down to 3 minutes without cutting any dialogue or “plot” it wouldn’t have had the same affect. Some of the shots in this movie were so long that I would go thorough a full range of emotions … I start off curious about what was happening to boredom because nothing was happening to angry because still nothing was happening and then finally I would just start laughing because the shot just seemed to never end and I couldn’t believe I was still watching it and then – nothing would happen!

-What other movie gives you great lines like “shirt basket” and “dirt mattress”

CONS:
- *See Pros…

I agree with you. I remember watching Gerry one day when I was bored at home, thinking, "Hey, I'll watch a movie, that won't be boring."

Oh boy, was I in for a surprise!

I have to agree with you completely though, after I watched the entire movie through, I felt like I had accomplished something, and I personally ended up liking it. I don't know if I would watch it a second time though!

Props to you for sitting through it again after know what it's like! ;)

...I think that when I make up this list, I'll put on the movies that I will sit through over and over and over and over....

In no particular order.....

Pulp Fiction(resevoir dogs, true romance) heard they were all written on a major drugged out weekend

the usual suspects
big night
the red violin
rebecca (original hitchcock)
the philadelphia story
daughters of the dust
almost famous
blade runner
strange days

--spinner :cool:

Sin City
Pulp Fitcion
Adaptation
Traffic
Big Fish
25th Hour
Happiness
Matrix 1
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
The Boondock Saints

1) The Great Race
2) Some Like It Hot
3) Creepshow
4) Arsenic and Old Lace
5) It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
6) Dr. Strangelove
7) Yellowbeard
8) Raising Arizona
9) Silverado
10) --??--

I suppose I'll leave slot 10 open for "the favorite du jour" but the others are lasting favorites.

Herbal said:
...I was watching Henry's Corner on IFC and Michael Madsen was on. I got the impression that there is a Sin City sequel in the works. Which is good if they don't rush it and actually have a story to present. I'm all about going to see it. But we all know that a good idea can be killed ie- Matrix:Revolutions (that's 3, right?). Geez, just watch the first Matrix and leave it at that

--spinner :cool:

No particular order, and of course the list changes depending upon mood:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (for pure entertainment value)
2. Manhatten
3. Casablanca
4. Waiting for Guffman
5. Blue Velvet
6. The Godfathers, I & II
7. The English Patient
8. Groundhog Day
9. Psycho
9. His Girl Friday

Here are other interesting ways to pull these surveys:

Top three films by genre? (1. Comedey 2. Drama 3. Horror 4. Blockbuster 5. Indie/Small film) or my favorite, Top 3 films by decade. You see some interesting patterns that way, doesn't it seem harder to pick from the 80's than the 70's?

Back