• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Follow Focus with Gimbal

Soon enough I'll be buying a 3-Axis Gimbal (most likely the Moza Lite) but I'm concerned about focusing. The most obvious choice to focus would be with a wireless follow focus system, but all these systems are WAY out of my budget.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has used a manual follow focus system with a 3-Axis Gimbal? And if so how did they do it?

I've been thinking if attaching a large focus whip to the gimbal and securing it near one of the handles of the gimbal would work?

I'm really looking for advice on this as I've searched the internet and can't find a single thing on manual focusing with a 3-Axis Gimbal. The prices of wireless systems are CRAZY, almost as much as the gimbal itself.

Hope someone can help me with this dilemma. And if I just invented using a focus whip with a gimbal, then you're welcome everybody!

I haven't tried using a focus whip in this manner, so treat my opinion accordingly. However, I think the reason you've been unable to find anything on the internet is that there isn't a good manual focus option. First, I'm not sure how you'd operate the whip as both hands would be holding the gimbal. I imagine you're thinking of using a thumb or finger, but I'm not convinced that would work very well. If there is any motion from the whip wire it will be transferred to the camera, and the camera wil move. The gimbal isolates any motion or vibration to the camera, by adding the whip, you've now introduced another point of transfer of vibration. Of course if you have your heart set on a gimbal, get it, certainly the cost of a whip isn't crazy and you can give it a try. Personally, I think your best bet is lots of light and lots of depth of field, and it would seem to that most of the time you're doing steadi work you're trying to remain the same distance from your subjects.

Yes, you can't use the whip or any external physical influence, and keep your camera balanced.
If you want to use depth of field and have the camera "steady" then you probably have to use the wireless focus options.

If you look at any of the videos shot with these things, you'll almost always find a very wide depth of field, ie, everything is in focus. I did a steadicam shot, and I wanted to have some depth of field. The trick was to maintain the same distance from the actors as they moved. We couldn't touch the camera, once it was balanced.

What indie says.

A focus whip will be a thing that pushes the camera, obstructing the motors while they try to balance the camera.
When I use the MoVI I shoot with a larger DOF or I have to keep the distance pretty precise or I use a C100 with autofocus :-p or wireless focus.

Thanks guys!

I was assuming that connecting something manually would obstruct the motors, I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it haha. I thought I was on to a winner! ;)

Maybe I could try creating a DIY whip with a more flexible wire, hopefully then that could lower the vibrations, although I'm not sure how well that would work as a focus whip.

Regardless of focusing I'm going to buy a 3-Axis Gimbal anyway, so I'll try these tests and I'll post back here if it actually works.

A whip isn't going to work - at least if you want to keep your camera balanced.

You need to invest in the purchase or hire of a wireless FF system unless you use a camera with AF, or keep the shot wide and attempt to keep a similar distance to the subject. Wireless FF is always going to be a better (and not altogether ridiculously expensive..) option.

Back