• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Vengeance in 2 Minutes

The second club project this semester, an experiment at fight scene capability, to see if we could manage convincing shots, making a fight look real. It worked, but it was way too brief, we only had 10 minutes to choreograph and shoot the fight by the time with finished the dialogue, so it had to be done short if we wanted decent quality. (actual page on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCcWC5GGA4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCcWC5GGA4

At 1:24, the actors switched sides when he put down the gun, then right after that for the nut kick. Very confusing, especially in a fast fight scene with lots of cuts. Other than those two, the fight looked pretty good. Sound effects were synced and leveled well. Only other issue through the film, and I realize it was probably unavoidable, but you want to tripod/steadycam shots like the slow-mo walk away.

Oh those scratch-n-sniffs.

Edit: Forgot, I also dug the tilt work around 1:50, right before he walked away, I liked how that looked.

CommonminormotionsicknessHighrise

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments! Had we more than 10 minutes by the time we reached the fight, it probably would not only have been longer, but different in angles, we seriously had no preplanning done, not even choreography. And during editing I nearly pulled my hair out when realizing the spot at 1:24 where we violated the 180 rule really bad, even when the fight began it was irritating, but that's really all we were able to get...:-(

It was fun though, the thing that woulda really made me freak is if the fighting seemed fake, really wanted to be able to make it convincing without having to get a pro choreographer (not that it would be an option with our budget--or lack thereof, lol)!

But thank you again, we will be workin hard to avoid the same mistakes!

As mentioned, they switch positions during the fighting scene. That little detail took away A LOT from a mostly fluid fight sequence. My only other complaint about the sequence is the sound. In several instances it was cut off very abruptly (when one of your actors lands on the table, and then again when the table is kicked). It seems that when you were editing this together, you cut off the audio at the exact same place you cut off the video. It looks and sounds silly if a continuous sound stops as soon as the camera angle switches. They may be simple bangs and screeches, but they should echo. If you don't want to use those sounds at all, you should've simply cut the audio track and used prerecorded sounds. That would fix that problem too.

I laughed quite a bit watching this. Good job :)

My only other complaint is the 1 second cut of your actor holding the gun, right before he gets disarmed (at about 1:19). He looks completely static in this shot. If I was desperately trying to reload my pistol, with an angry martial artist making his way towards me, I would probably be either very panicked, or determined to shoot him in the face. I would not be standing there, waiting for him to take the gun from me. Which is kind of what this tiny 1 second cut looked like.

The fast pace of the fight sequence was great... But once again, tiny things like this can distrupt the flow of a beautiful scene!

Back