• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Interview re Attaching Name Actors

I recently had the pleasure of being interviewed for the podcast Get Real: Indie Filmmakers Surviving in 2018. We had a terrific discussion about casting name actors in indie films, and how I went about casting my two features (DETOURS and Surviving Family).

Check out the interview at the link below:

https://forrisday.podbean.com/e/star-attachment-advice-for-indie-producers-guest-mara-lesemann-ep16/

Good stuff, and really interesting to think about the differences in doing this between UK and US (I always find the role of SAG intriguing, as things are slightly different here in the UK). I also think this is a great subject, because all the directors/producers I know who have gone on to do projects with budgets of over £100,000 are very adamant that their biggest piece of advice is to focus on the casting. Spend your money on the casting. There are loads of places you can scrimp, but having a 'name actor' in even a very small role is essential.

I always think of Surviving Family when I see Billy Magnussen in things (watching Maniac at the moment)!

Originally posted by Nick Clapper: Good stuff, and really interesting to think about the differences in doing this between UK and US (I always find the role of SAG intriguing, as things are slightly different here in the UK). I also think this is a great subject, because all the directors/producers I know who have gone on to do projects with budgets of over £100,000 are very adamant that their biggest piece of advice is to focus on the casting. Spend your money on the casting. There are loads of places you can scrimp, but having a 'name actor' in even a very small role is essential.

I always think of Surviving Family when I see Billy Magnussen in things (watching Maniac at the moment)!

Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you found it interesting.

I definitely agree re actors, and it's been great to watch Billy Magnussen's career since Surviving Family. He's really great, and casting him was one of the smartest moves we made.

Back