• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting from The Wire

sfoster

Staff Member
I'm rewatching this series and this shot was particularly interesting to me.
I'm unsure I'd be able to achieve this look outside in the daylight without significant color correction.

How would you go about lighting something like that?

Spooky

attachment.php

Attachments

• wire-lighting.jpg
    wire-lighting.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 296
Available light (sun) backlit and overhead, bounceboard for frontal light low angle and to the left and above neckline.

I assumed he was under some kind of structure you can't see overhead. Right at the edge where the sun would hit his shoulders. If not, then flags.

Hmm so negative fill overhead and then bounce boards for the shoulder light where the sun would be hitting. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in a similar environment

I feel like the direction he's facing would have to be all covered in black too, otherwise light spill would bounce back on his face.
When I create an effect like this indoors i have to block all the windows and everything to control light spill, its crazy to see it done outside .

Last edited:
Picture your actor under the edge of an overpass facing inward with the sun at high noon hitting their back spilling over a bit, and in front maybe you have two bounceboards, one left one right but way back as to just add a tad of highlight but keep the center shaded...

Picture your actor under the edge of an overpass facing inward with the sun at high noon hitting their back spilling over a bit, and in front maybe you have two bounceboards, one left one right but way back as to just add a tad of highlight but keep the center shaded...

I wasn't thinking high noon thats a great catch!
Thanks

yeah i feel like he still might be standing on a black tarp facing a black room.

it depends on the dynamic range of the camera. maybe he is darker on the camera than he would look in person bc dynamic range

yeah i feel like he still might be standing on a black tarp facing a black room.

it depends on the dynamic range of the camera. maybe he is darker on the camera than he would look in person bc dynamic range

I think I see what you mean. You'd think if it wasn't that, there would be SOME sort of errant reflection, hightlight, etc. on him, somewhere... right? I'm thinking it's definitely a porch awning situation, but you might be right as well.

I think I see what you mean. You'd think if it wasn't that, there would be SOME sort of errant reflection, hightlight, etc. on him, somewhere... right? I'm thinking it's definitely a porch awning situation, but you might be right as well.

Yeah with my naked eyes in 35 years i've never seen someone standing outside be shrouded in shadow.

it's some sinister shit :lol:

Back