• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you write action scenes in this style, without the script becoming too long?

A lot screenplays, break up the paragraphs in the action scenes, and a lot of is double lined, kind of like this example from The Bourne Supremacy screenplay. on page 111.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/bournesupremacy.pdf

However, when I write with the action scenes with a lot of it double lined, my script becomes way too long, going well over 120 pages, when I only intended it to be no more than 100. If writing double lined action scenes is more professional looking by today's standards, then how do you do it, and still keep the script short?

First of all, that’s a shooting script. If formatted as a spec script, it’d be shorter.

Second, it’s a screenplay that would’ve been commissioned by the producer, as a sequel to an existing film, to be written by an established writer, who also wrote the previous film. In those circumstances, the “rules” are different.

Third, you can shorten your script by removing some of the unnecessary junk. If there is no unnecessary junk, then your script is the perfect length. Don’t worry about it.

You're meant to write per camera shot. If your writing is as concise as it should be then your action blocks will naturally fall in at one, two, three or four lines. Although you can do more on occasion too... depending on flow.

If your scripts are coming in that long, then your writing may not be as concise as it needs to be. Or there may be lots of exposition. I've found that can add page length too.

Back