speedlight suggestions

Hey guys, so my birthday is coming up and the organization I work with has offered to buy me a flash for my camera (they do a lot of international events and political dinners at their residence that require photography)

Any suggestions on the flash and possibly some accessories (bounce, etc)? I have a canon 6D. Looking for something under $200 because it's a gift and I'm not professional anyway.

I guess the Canon EX560 (? not sure about the name) is above budget?
I have two of them: work pretty well.
Make sure you use an omnibounce, softbox or umbrella with is. Without anything you will need to bounce it on walls or ceilings, otherwise it will be harsh lightning.

For that price range youyr best bet for a TTL flash will likely be the Yongnuo YN568 ex ii (or one of the lesser models if you dont need hss).

I don't know what the price in dollars is, but you should have some monies left over for some off-camera gear such as a pair of yn622C 2.4ghz tranceivers (as optical/ir triggering is unreliable at best), a lightweight stand, a brolly, batteries/charger etc...

i went with a yongnuo YN560 III

now, does anybody have some helpful pointers on using the thing? I understand how it works just not how to apply that to real world situations. A fundraiser for a local democratic candidate for mayor that I'm supposed to be photographing has crept up on me...it's tonight. Crash course anyone?

Sorry I missed your post in time for your event, but theres not a lot I could've helped you with anyway as the 560's are manual flashes. Using them requires practice, and arn't the best choice for run-and-gun event photography, where TTL flashes are nigh essential. You can still bounce and fill etc just like any other flash of course, but nailing flash power manually first time is a skill that takes time and familiarity of your gear.

Best advice I can give you now is to get googling for manual flash tutorials, and make sure you practice a lot in various conditions before your next shoot. :)

How was it anyway? Did it go well for you?

ah indeed, it was definitely a learning curve to get the manual flash power down (and will be for some time) but I think it turned out alright! I had a few "d'oh!" moments with extreme shadows or weird bouncing that didn't really work haha. but i'm now more confident for my next shoot!

Glad it went alright for you, and good luck with the next one! :) (though seriously, get a TTL flash if you can)

I was just looking around for some good tutorials I remember from when I started with flashes, but my google fu is weak today, sorry!

TBH, If you know your exposure triangle and are confident in ambient light then it shouldn't take tooooo long to work out. Especially once you realise the relationship between f stops and flash power/distance (if you haven't already anyway).

You only need to remember the output power at a single ref distance, and then you can nail every shot first time. :)

ISL is our friend sometimes too!

Eg Say a flash on 1/4 power is gives you f11 at around 8ft away feet away. If you then need to take a pic from 5.6ft away you just click your flash power down a stop to 1/8 and fire away. If you then needed to move back (from 5.6ft) to 11ft away, you would slap the power up 2 stops to 1/2.

If your next shot then required you to bounce off a surface 8ft away, the distance to subject would be 16ft total. So from our original 1/4 power 8ft reference point, we just have to notch it up by 2 stops to 1/1 power to account for the double distance (or for example sake you could jiggle the aperture/iso around and rebalance the ambient shutter etc).

While at first you may wonder how to account for triangulation, its really a non-issue. As long as you measure/estimate distance from the flash > bounce point > subject, it all works out fine. You can get into some issues when more complex factors come in (such as flash zoom), but learning this technique will see you through most situations, or at least get you close enough with the first shot that a minor adjustment is all that's needed to bring it in line. Distances do not have to be exact either. All cameras fudge the numbers a bit , and so a few iffy estimates here and there make bugger all difference in the real world at typical event/portrait distances.

Other tips, try hanging around 1/2 x-sync for your shutter (so, usually 1/100 or so). This give you a stop more headroom in the ambient should it fluctuate later, and still allows you to drag the shutter down to 1/50 to let in a stop or more without risking blur at 50mm or so. If shooting wider angles you can open up the ambient quite a lot more for some slow sync shots if people are static. It's also fairly common to shoot at middle ISO's a lot for maximum flexibility (and less flash wear/battery drain). Pretty much all settings tend towards the middle as this affords the most amount of flexibility when composing for both the flash and the ambient factors on the fly.

Hopefully that'll give you something to play with for a bit anyway. :) In the mean time... oh and did I mention that you should get a TTL flash? :P

Last edited:
Without TTL you will need to meter the light to get good exposure the first time.

So in the end the canon Lightspeed could cost the same as a non TTL + lightmeter?

Hi Walter. :)

My apologies if this come across as inflammatory btw, it's not my intent to start a 'my way/gear is better than yours' discussion. :D

Without TTL you will need to meter the light to get good exposure the first time.

Not at all. You don't even need to know the GN. You just need to remember a single aperture/iso setting to go with a given distance/flashposwer, and then modify your settings as you move between your imaginary marker points on the floor.

It's a good idea to test your flash at 8ft while at home one day, as then you only have to go up/down a stop when if you have to move to 11ft or 5.6ft repectively - common workable distances we encounter. It's takes a split second to do the distance estmate, even if we had to move to 4ft, or 16ft etc. Other than using a full TTL flash with FEC/FEL etc, it really is the fastest way to get reliable shots on the fly.

A lightmeter requires additional time to test, and someone to hold it in place. Neither of which may be available to us at the shoot. While flash meters are fine in more controlled slow-paced shoots (typically with an off-camera flash setup), this approach is often too slow for events and reportage.

Of course, all of this still just goes back to what we both suggested to WhiteOpus - that a TTL flash is a godsend for the event photographer. :)

So in the end the canon Lightspeed could cost the same as a non TTL + lightmeter?

Possibly. Which is why the top selling flash in the world today is (iirc) the YN568 exii, and unsurprisingly the top selling trigger system is the YN622C's. (Of which I own many. The 622tx is the singular best piece of strobist kit i've ever bought or used!)

For the price of a single comparable top-end canon flash, today's strobist and event photographers can put together an insanely good multi-flash wireless setup. For WhiteOpus' purposes just a single 568exii on the hotshoe will do just fine (see edit below). The last ones I bought cost only £100. There's just nothing out there that comes close at the mo. Yongnuo have come a long way since their early products.

WhiteOpus - If you do get to grips with the manual flash ok and ever decide to venture into an off-camera flash setup, then I would recommend checking out the YN560tx (its the dedicated transmitter for remote control of the 560iii system).

If you're so inclined, for more info on all things flash gear related, check out Flash Havoc - http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-568ex-ii-canon/.

Elv is a top bloke and knows his stuff. :)

Edit - WhiteOpus - Sorry, actually, the YN565exii I alluded to earlier is possibly the best alternative budget option. It's basically the same flash as the 568exii, but without the HSS (though it does have an external battery port). They're about $80-90 I think. Something to bear in mind for the future maybe.

Last edited:
Wow this is some great info. So I am thinking I might just return the 560 iii and pick up the 568 exii. That's the one with TTL but no HSS? I've read articles online about High Speed Sync but could someone possibly give me a real-world example of its importance?

Wow this is some great info. So I am thinking I might just return the 560 iii and pick up the 568 exii. That's the one with TTL but no HSS? I've read articles online about High Speed Sync but could someone possibly give me a real-world example of its importance?

The 568 exii has both, the 565 exii is just TTL.

Real world examples that I use HSS for -

Sport - The main benefit is that a fast shutter allows me to eliminate the motion trails that I would otherwise get if limited to xsync when shooting fast moving objects/people.

Portraits - HSS allows me to shoot at any aperture I desire, even in bright daylight, for some bokehlicious shots. eg I can shoot with my f2.8 tele or a fast prime for 'that look' and have plenty of headroom with the shutter speed still. A limited xsync would mean being forced to use smaller apertures, and restrict compositional choice. Even in broad daylight, I can easily expose a sky/background to look nice and rich, and then use (preferably off-camera) flashes to light the subject and the scene how I want still. A ND filter can aslo be used to the same end (just as most filmakers would do), but for flash photographers it's still faster, easier and less limiting, to dial in whatever exposure you want as per normal, than it is to switch/adjust filters. Filters can also introduce additional WB, focus, and IQ issues.

Events - Corporate and weddings, reportage and street - all often feature high DR scenes, or I am moving to and from drastically different EV's very quickly (indoors to outdoors, big windows, backlit scenes etc). My job is made much easier and faster if the only thing I have to change is my shutter to rebalance the ambient, and that is made much easier if i'm not limited to xsync (as then I would have to rejiggle the aperture as well), leaving me free to choose my aperture and iso to suit the desired composition.
Shooting under the sort of broken/changing cloud cover that we often get here in the UK, means rapidly fluctuating ambient levels, and so its really handy to be able to just wang the shutter anywhere you need to cope with the extreme shifts in scene EV likley encountered on outdoor shoots.

Those are my main uses for HSS anyway. You might not be that fussed by them, or are happy to just chuck on a ND filter for the odd wide aperture portrait etc, but if the situations above apply to what you do then you'll probably love it. :)

Don't worry about that: we are all here sharing views, knowledge and experiences.

:cool:

Back